Discover the Strange Pattern in Powers: A Question About Calculating Powers

• MHB
  • Thread starter Angel11
  • Start date
In summary, the sequence $a_n=An^2+Bn+C$ has a quadratic term when the second derivative of the function is a constant.
Angel11
Hello again,it has been a few minutes before my last thread and i am also pleased of its reply so thank about it,but i remembered another question i had,this time about powers.
One day i was calculating the powers of 1,2,3 until 10.This day i realized something strange.
1^2=1, 2^2=4, 3^2=9, 4^2=16...
so i did 4-1=3, 9-4=5 and 16-9=7...
and then i realized this:5-3=2 and 7-5=2... my question is why did it end up the number 2
so the next day i instantly asked my math teacher about it and he told me that this is already found but i am to young to understand why.So now i am asking help here (although i still think i won't understand since i think it will be complicated)

P.S I am sorry if you didn't understand the calculation but it was tough for me to explane it
Thank you

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
1 + 3 = 4
1 + 3 + 5 = 9
1 + 3 + 5 + 7 = 16
1 + 3 + 5 + 7 + 9 = 25

Do you see where the '2' is coming from now?

Angel1 said:
Hello again,it has been a few minutes before my last thread and i am also pleased of its reply so thank about it,but i remembered another question i had,this time about powers.
One day i was calculating the powers of 1,2,3 until 10.This day i realized something strange.
and then i realized this:5-3=2 and 7-5=2... my question is why did it end up the number 2
so the next day i instantly asked my math teacher about it and he told me that this is already found but i am to young to understand why.So now i am asking help here (although i still think i won't understand since i think it will be complicated)

P.S I am sorry if you didn't understand the calculation but it was tough for me to explane it
Thank you

\(\displaystyle (x+1)^2-x^2=2x+1\)

\(\displaystyle x^2-(x-1)^2=2x-1\)

\(\displaystyle 2x+1-(2x-1)=2\)

Angel1 said:

Thank you

I like the way you are investigating how things work on your own. (Yes)

What you've discovered here is closely related to a result from the calculus. When the second derivative of a function is a constant, then the function will be quadratic. But, let's look at the discrete version. Suppose you are given the sequence:

5, 8, 14, 23, 35, 50, ...

And you are asked to find the $n$th term.

So, you look at the "first difference", that is, the difference between successive terms, and you find:

3, 6, 9, 12, 15

Then you look at the "second difference", that is the difference between successive terms of the first difference, and you find:

3, 3, 3, 3

So, we find a constant second difference, and we may state that the $n$th term of the sequence, which we'll call $a_n$, will be a quadratic in $n$:

\(\displaystyle a_n=An^2+Bn+C\)

To determine the unknown coefficients $(A,B,C)$, we may construct a system of equations based on the first 3 terms of the sequence, and their given values:

\(\displaystyle a_1=A+B+C=5\)

\(\displaystyle a_2=4A+2B+C=8\)

\(\displaystyle a_3=9A+3B+C=14\)

Solving this system, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle (A,B,C)=\left(\frac{3}{2},-\frac{3}{2},5\right)\)

And so we may state:

\(\displaystyle a_n=\frac{1}{2}(3n^2-3n+10)\)

What kind of general term do you suppose we'd get if we find the third difference is constant?

1. What are powers and why are they important in science?

Powers are mathematical operations in which a number is multiplied by itself a certain number of times. They are important in science because they allow us to represent numbers that are very large or very small in a more compact and efficient way. They also help us to understand and describe relationships between quantities in various scientific phenomena.

2. How do powers relate to exponents?

Exponents are a way of representing powers in a shorthand form. For example, instead of writing 2 x 2 x 2, we can write 23, where the number on the top (3) represents the number of times the base number (2) is multiplied by itself. Exponents are often used in scientific notation to express very large or very small numbers.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative powers?

Positive powers are used to represent numbers that are greater than 1, while negative powers are used to represent numbers that are less than 1. For example, 23 = 2 x 2 x 2 = 8, while 2-3 = 1/(2 x 2 x 2) = 1/8. Negative powers can also be written as fractions with the numerator being 1 and the denominator being the positive power. For example, 2-3 = 1/23 = 1/8.

4. How are powers used in scientific calculations?

Powers are used in a variety of scientific calculations, such as in physics to calculate work or energy, in chemistry to determine concentrations of solutions, and in biology to analyze population growth. They are also used in many scientific formulas and equations to describe relationships between variables.

5. Can powers be negative or decimal numbers?

Yes, powers can be negative or decimal numbers. In fact, any real number can be raised to any real power, including negative and decimal powers. This is known as the power rule, where xm xn = xm+n. In cases where the base number is negative, the power rule still applies, but the resulting answer may be a negative or positive number depending on the values of the powers being added or multiplied.