Discrepancy in my calculations!

• Thread starter lilrex
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am having a problem with some thermodynamics calculations. I am not very experienced with them and it certainly shows in my frustration with them! Anyway the check that I am using is incrementally simulated work compared to theoretical energy in.

Example 31KJ in 133KJ mechanical work out. I am obviously way off considering other calculations predicted 42% thermal eff. if you ignore over unity. (diesel cycle)

I am having trouble formulating intelligent questions that might help me understand what I am doing wrong but here it goes:

let:

p = pressure, y = 1.4,Cr = compressed volume ratio, Ps = initial pressure, Ta = temp added = 1000,
Ti = initial temperature = 300K
Vr = volume ratio

Vr = Cr
if Cr = 1, then T = Ti * Cr^(y-1) = 300K, T = T + Ta, Cr = (T/Ti)^(1/(y-1)) = 39.089

if the volume did not increase, p = 14.7 * cr^(1.4) = 2490 psi

is this not correct? or am I missing something?

now if Vr = .5 then Cr = Cr/Vr = 78

1714K = Ti * Cr^(y-1)
and
6550 PSI = 14.7 * Cr^(1.4)
How does this second part look?

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
You did not state the problem as given to you. Instead, you present your erroneous calculations and ask us to figure out where you went wrong. Without a clear statement of the problem and your work showing how you got 31 kJ in and 133 kJ mechanical work out, we cannot figure out where you went wrong.