1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Math Computer Science Question

1. Apr 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the probability that a randomly generated bit string of length 10 begins with a 1 or ends with a 00 if

a)a 0 bit and a 1 bit are equally likely.
    b)The probability that a bit is a 1 is .7
    c)The probability that the ith bit is a 1 is 1/2i for i=1,2,3,...,10

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Since I know that the length is 10, and that the first and last two spots are already selected, I only have to worry about the middle 7 spots. A bit can only be 2 choices 0 or 1.

a) If the odds are the same for both, then I just calculated (1/2)7 based on the 7 remaining choices.

b) Probability here would be (.7)7 going by the same remaining choices.

c)For this I did

(1/2)(1+7)*7/2 which would equal a probability of (1/2)28.

Was my approach to this problem correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2016 #2
    How many bits does the question ask about? Are there any bits it does not ask about?

4. Apr 9, 2016 #3
    A string of length 10 where the choices are either 0 or 1. The first one is labeled as 1, the last two as 00. This leaves seven choices where the selected bit can be 0 or 1.

5. Apr 9, 2016 #4
    What part of this problem statement asks about the seven bits in the middle?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted