Discrete Math Computer Science Question

In summary: The part that asks about the seven bits in the middle is the statement "I only have to worry about the middle 7 spots."
Noriko Kamachi

Homework Statement

Find the probability that a randomly generated bit string of length 10 begins with a 1 or ends with a 00 if

a)a 0 bit and a 1 bit are equally likely.
b)The probability that a bit is a 1 is .7
c)The probability that the ith bit is a 1 is 1/2i for i=1,2,3,...,10

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Since I know that the length is 10, and that the first and last two spots are already selected, I only have to worry about the middle 7 spots. A bit can only be 2 choices 0 or 1.

a) If the odds are the same for both, then I just calculated (1/2)7 based on the 7 remaining choices.

b) Probability here would be (.7)7 going by the same remaining choices.

c)For this I did

(1/2)(1+7)*7/2 which would equal a probability of (1/2)28.

Was my approach to this problem correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
How many bits does the question ask about? Are there any bits it does not ask about?

Tom.G said:
How many bits does the question ask about? Are there any bits it does not ask about?

A string of length 10 where the choices are either 0 or 1. The first one is labeled as 1, the last two as 00. This leaves seven choices where the selected bit can be 0 or 1.

Noriko Kamachi said:
Find the probability that a randomly generated bit string of length 10 begins with a 1 or ends with a 00
What part of this problem statement asks about the seven bits in the middle?

1. What is discrete math and how is it related to computer science?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with structures and objects that are countable or can be enumerated. It is related to computer science as it provides the theoretical foundation for various computer science concepts, such as algorithms, data structures, and logic.

2. What are some real-world applications of discrete math in computer science?

Discrete math is used in various real-world applications in computer science, such as cryptography, network analysis, and coding theory. It is also used in the design and analysis of algorithms and data structures.

3. What are some common topics covered in a discrete math computer science course?

Topics covered in a discrete math computer science course may include sets, logic, relations, functions, combinatorics, graph theory, and probability theory. These topics provide a foundation for understanding and analyzing computer algorithms and data structures.

4. How is discrete math different from other branches of mathematics?

Discrete math differs from other branches of mathematics, such as calculus and geometry, as it deals with discrete or countable objects, whereas other branches deal with continuous objects. It also focuses on logical reasoning and problem-solving rather than pure mathematical calculations.

5. Is discrete math difficult to learn for someone without a strong math background?

Discrete math can be challenging for someone without a strong math background, but it is not impossible to learn. It requires logical thinking and problem-solving skills, rather than advanced mathematical knowledge. With dedication and practice, anyone can understand and apply the concepts of discrete math in computer science.