How Do Transition Probabilities Determine the Behavior of a Markov Chain?

In summary: } \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & \cdots \\ \left(\frac{1}{2} \right)^2 & 0 & \left(\frac{3}{2} \right)^2 & 0 & \cdots \\ 0 & \left(\frac{2}{3} \right)^2 & 0 & \left(\frac{4}{3} \right)^2 & \cdots \\ 0 & 0 & \left(\frac{3}{4} \right)^2 & 0 & \cdots \\ \vdots & \vdots & \vdots & \vdots & \ddots \end{pmatrix
eXorikos

Homework Statement

Let [tex]\left( X_n \right)_{n \geq 0}[/tex] be a Markov chain on {0,1,...} with transition probabilities given by:
[tex]p_{01} = 1[/tex], [tex]p_{i,i+1} + p_{i,i-1} = 1[/tex], [tex]p_{i,i+1} = \left(\frac{i+1}{i} \right)^2 p_{i,i-1}[/tex]
Show that if [tex]X_0 = 0[/tex] then the probability that [tex]X_n \geq 1[/tex] for all [tex]n \geq 1[/tex] is 6/[tex]\pi^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't have an attempt. I think I have to use the master equation for discrete time since it's a stationary distribution for n>0. I've been thinking about it more than it seems by these two sentences but I'm quite stuck...

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! You are correct in thinking that the master equation for discrete time can be used to solve this problem. Let's approach it step by step.

First, let's define the state space of our Markov chain. Since the chain is defined on {0,1,...}, we can write it as S = {0,1,2,...}. Next, let's define the transition matrix P, where P_{i,j} represents the probability of going from state i to state j. In our case, we have:

P_{i,i+1} = \left(\frac{i+1}{i} \right)^2 p_{i,i-1} = \left(\frac{i+1}{i} \right)^2 \left( 1 - p_{i,i+1} \right) = \left(\frac{i+1}{i} \right)^2 \left( 1 - \left(\frac{i+1}{i} \right)^2 p_{i,i-2} \right)

We can continue this pattern and write the transition matrix as:

P = \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & \cdots \\ \left(\frac{1}{2} \right)^2 & 0 & \left(\frac{3}{2} \right)^2 & 0 & \cdots \\ 0 & \left(\frac{2}{3} \right)^2 & 0 & \left(\frac{4}{3} \right)^2 & \cdots \\ 0 & 0 & \left(\frac{3}{4} \right)^2 & 0 & \cdots \\ \vdots & \vdots & \vdots & \vdots & \ddots \end{pmatrix}

Now, let's define the initial state distribution, where X_0 = 0. This means that the initial state distribution is:

\pi_0 = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & \cdots \end{pmatrix}

Using the master equation for discrete time, we can write the stationary distribution as:

\pi P = \pi

Substituting the values of \pi_0 and P, we get:

\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & \cdots \end{pmatrix

Related to How Do Transition Probabilities Determine the Behavior of a Markov Chain?

1. What is a discrete time Markov chain?

A discrete time Markov chain is a mathematical model used to describe a sequence of events, where the probability of transitioning from one state to another only depends on the current state and not on the previous states. It is a type of stochastic process that is commonly used in various fields, such as engineering, economics, and biology, to model random events and predict future outcomes.

2. How is a discrete time Markov chain different from a continuous time Markov chain?

The main difference between a discrete time Markov chain and a continuous time Markov chain is the way time is measured. In a discrete time Markov chain, time is divided into discrete, fixed intervals, while in a continuous time Markov chain, time is measured continuously. This difference affects the way the probability of transitioning between states is calculated and can lead to different behaviors of the model.

3. What is a stationary distribution in a discrete time Markov chain?

A stationary distribution, also known as a steady-state distribution, is a probability distribution that remains constant over time in a discrete time Markov chain. It represents the long-term behavior of the model and is often used to make predictions about the future states of the system. In other words, it is the equilibrium distribution of the model.

4. How are transition probabilities determined in a discrete time Markov chain?

The transition probabilities in a discrete time Markov chain are determined by the transition matrix, which is a square matrix that represents the probabilities of transitioning from one state to another. The probabilities are typically based on historical data or expert knowledge and can be adjusted to reflect changes in the system over time.

5. What are some applications of discrete time Markov chains?

Discrete time Markov chains have various applications in different fields, such as finance, biology, and computer science. They are commonly used in stock market analysis, population modeling, and natural language processing, among others. They are also used in engineering to model the reliability of systems and in machine learning for classification and prediction tasks.