1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Voltage Regulator w/ BJTs

1. Nov 8, 2008 #1
    Hi,
    My problem is very simple, I have a project in which I have to design a voltage regulator out of discrete BJTs, Zeners and resistors etc. the only limitation is that I cannot use an IC. I would prefer not using a zener because i would like to make the output variable through a voltage divider bias if possible.
    the main problem is that i have looked around a lot, tried to attempt a lot, but i have no idea about any basic design that would allow me to make a low-dropout voltage regulator with mentioned elements. i would be very grateful if someone could nudge me in the right direction, i do not ask for a specific answer, just a general explanation so that i can start working on it and tweak the design as much as i can to my specifications.
    let's suppose i have a 15 V V(in) and need a 10 V V(out), with as good load and line regulation. can anybody point me to a basic configuration which could allow me to accomplish the task? or any simple configuration that lets the BJT to act as a voltage regulator?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2008 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Welcome to PhysicsForums!

Here's a hint: What is the purpose of a BJT Voltage Follower?

NOTE: a resistor divider does not give good line regulation (variations in input voltage).

Good luck!

4. Nov 10, 2008 #3
    Yeah i did make a circuit in which i used CE configuration for two NPN transistors, one after the other, where the voltage at the base of Q1 was set by a rheostat and the base of Q2 was attached to the emitter of Q1.
    Pathetic line regulation, as you pointed out, yet it may be because i have no idea what a voltage follower is :(
    I have tried many sites, but all of them show followers with op-amps :(
    any help there?
    and yeah, thanks for the help :)

5. Nov 10, 2008 #4
    You can consider an op-amp as pretty much a BJT circuit that's designed to have a specific gain. But ask, and ye shall receive. Here is a good documentation from Linear Technologies on Voltage Regulators. If you need more help, I suggest that you hunt down various Voltage Regulators from a site like Digikey, and see the datasheets and application notes corresponding to the voltage regulators you see there. Good luck!

6. Nov 10, 2008 #5
    I did look at the paper you referred me to, but still there is one little problem that i'm having. All these designs use an error-correcting op-amp. I understand it's simply a negative feedback comparator kinda thing, no? or is there something else to it? in any case, I can't use an IC, so how do i go about doing this thing?

7. Nov 10, 2008 #6
    http://www.satcure-focus.com/tutor/page5.htm
    I'm amazed that you can Google just about anything these days...

8. Nov 11, 2008 #7

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

You're over-complicating things. A BJT *IS* a voltage follower (in the right configuration). For small variations in current, the base-emitter voltage is pretty constant (and in any case, roughly 0.7V). The common collector configuration is typically known as a voltage (or emitter) follower:
    http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_4/6.html

Now, how would you go about generating a reference voltage to follow? Under what circumstances would it work? Are these good assumptions when using a common collector configuration?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?