Solving for the resistance in a Voltage Regulator

In summary: The supply voltage varies at the extremes of its tolerance and the load current varies over its entire range. You need to find the worst case combination for the zener current and voltage in order to size the series resistor correctly. In summary, the task is to create a 15V regulated power supply with a maximum load current of 25 mA. The given circuit has a maximum load resistance of 25 mA and a test current of 20 mA. The knee current for the zener diode is 25 mA and it has a resistance of 11 Ω. The nominal zener voltage at the test current is 15V and the supply voltage is 39V ± 1V. The load resistance is not specified,
azlm

Homework Statement

Create a 15V regulated power supply capable of providing a maximum load current of 25 mA.

Circuit looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/fMtscbG.png?1ILmax (maximum load resistance) = 25mA

Izt (test current) = 20mA
Izk (knee current) = 25mA
rz = 11 Ω
Vz (nominal zener voltage at Izt)= 15V
Vs = 39V[itex]\pm[/itex]1V
RL = 1kΩ
R = ?

Homework Equations

Vz = Vz0 + rz*Iz

The Attempt at a Solution

Vz=14.78 V

To find R I need to determine the total current in the circuit. I'm not sure whether it's correct to assume that the current Iz=0 when IL=25 mA. Since the load voltage is 25V when IL is at its max I thought it meant that the zener diode would be disconnected.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Compare yours with this one:

VoltageRegulator.png
VoltageRegulator2.png

What's wrong with:
##V_{out}=V_{in}-IR## ... you know Vout and Vin during the constant voltage operation, and you don't want the current to exceed Imax ... solve for R.

Hi azlm, Welcome to Physics Forums.

azlm said:

Homework Statement

Create a 15V regulated power supply capable of providing a maximum load current of 25 mA.

Circuit looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/fMtscbG.png

ILmax (maximum load resistance) = 25mA

Izt (test current) = 20mA
Izk (knee current) = 25mA
rz = 11 Ω
Vz (nominal zener voltage at Izt)= 15V
Vs = 39V[itex]\pm[/itex]1V
RL = 1kΩ
R = ?

Homework Equations

Vz = Vz0 + rz*Iz

The Attempt at a Solution

Vz=14.78 V

To find R I need to determine the total current in the circuit. I'm not sure whether it's correct to assume that the current Iz=0 when IL=25 mA. Since the load voltage is 25V when IL is at its max I thought it meant that the zener diode would be disconnected.

You want to operate a zener at or beyond its knee current in order for it to regulate at the zener voltage. That puts the minimum zener current at Izk even when the load is at maximum draw.

It's odd that you've specified a fixed load resistance since that will pin the load current to a fixed value if the voltage is regulated to 15V, making the specification of a maximum load current unworkable. Perhaps the given RL is meant to be a typical load?

Usually one wants to design for the worst case scenario and choose the voltage dropping resistance (R1 in your diagram) accordingly. Then check the operating conditions at the other extreme to make sure that all is well there too ( a bit hard to do here because the maximum zener current and/or power dissipation is not given). Can you describe the worst case regulation scenario (voltages, currents)?

Thanks for the information.

The maximum regulator current is 76mA, power dissipation is 1W.

You're right about RL not having a fixed value. I think I might have mixed up two different problems.

Would the worst case regulation scenario be when ΔVs = -1V and Iz = Izk?

azlm said:
Thanks for the information.

The maximum regulator current is 76mA, power dissipation is 1W.

You're right about RL not having a fixed value. I think I might have mixed up two different problems.

Would the worst case regulation scenario be when ΔVs = -1V and Iz = Izk?

The worst case scenario for regulation is usually some combination of the extremes of the external factors: supply voltage and load current.

1. What is a voltage regulator?

A voltage regulator is an electronic circuit that is used to maintain a steady output voltage from a power supply, despite changes in input voltage or current.

2. How does a voltage regulator work?

A voltage regulator works by using a feedback mechanism to monitor the output voltage and adjust the circuit accordingly to maintain a constant output voltage. It typically uses a reference voltage and a control element, such as a transistor, to adjust the voltage as needed.

3. Why is it important to solve for the resistance in a voltage regulator?

The resistance in a voltage regulator affects the overall performance and stability of the circuit. By solving for the resistance, you can ensure that the output voltage is accurate and stable, and prevent potential damage to the circuit or connected devices.

4. What factors affect the resistance in a voltage regulator?

The resistance in a voltage regulator can be affected by several factors, including the input voltage, the desired output voltage, the type of regulator (linear or switching), and the load on the circuit.

5. How can I solve for the resistance in a voltage regulator?

To solve for the resistance in a voltage regulator, you can use Ohm's law (R = V/I) to calculate the resistance based on the desired output voltage and the current flowing through the circuit. You can also use the voltage regulator's datasheet to determine the recommended resistance for optimal performance.