1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Disk and Shell Method (Ignore my other thread)

1. Aug 12, 2008 #1
    Reducing it to three questions, because I'm pretty confident on the others.
    9. Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving about the line x = -1, the region bounded by the curves y = -x^2 + 4x - 3 and y = 0.
    ---
    I graphed everything, and then translated the graph 1 to the right making it y=-(x-1)^2+4(x-1)-3 and y=0 rotated around the y-axis because this is easier for me.

So then, I should be able to do this with the shell method, and get [tex]\int_2^4 2x \pi (-(x-1)^2+4(x-1)-3)\,dx[/tex]

I don't think I'm right because this is negative
    ---

10. Consider the region in the xy-plane between x = 0 and x=pi/2 bounded by y = 0 and y = sin x. Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving this region about the x-axis.
    stuck here too

Honestly, I just am posting this because my answer seems to simple
    [tex]\int_0^\pi/2 sin^2x\,dx [/tex]

11. Let R be the region bounded by y = 1/x, y = x^2, x = 0, and y = 2. Suppose R is revolved around the x-axis. Set up but do not evaluate the integrals for the volume of rotation using: a) the method of cylindrical shells; b) the method of circular disks.
    Honestly don't know where to start

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi myanmar! :smile:

9. No, it is positive … for example, if x = 3, the bracket is -4 + 8 - 3 = 1. :smile:

10. I assume you mean [tex]\int_0^{\pi/2} \pi sin^2x\,dx [/tex] ?

Yes, that's fine! :smile:

11. Don't know how to help you on this … you just have to draw the diagram carefully, and decide what the endpoints are of each slice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?