Disorientation whilst backing up car next to one pulling out

• Thread starter curious mama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
Vection is the perception of self-motion due to visual cues, even when there is no actual movement. This can cause conflicts with other sensory inputs, leading to disorientation. In summary, the conversation discusses a phenomenon known as spatial disorientation or vection, where conflicting sensory inputs can cause a person to feel like they are moving when they are not. This can happen in situations such as backing up a vehicle and seeing another one moving in the periphery, or when on a train next to another train. The brain's mental model of the body's motion can become distorted, leading to a feeling of disorientation.
curious mama
I was backing up our very large, high van into a parking spot today and then my parked neighbor to my right started pulling forward out of his spot as he had also backed in when he had parked. I certainly saw this movement not only in my periphery but also a bit in my line of sight as I was watching my backup camera. All of a sudden, I became so disoriented. Though I was braking, it felt like I was moving and I panicked. I pushed hard down on the brake and still truly thought my van had somehow started moving forward on its own and malfunctioned. To convince myself that I wasn't moving (or just to stop what I thought was an out of control van), I shifted immediately into park. This lasted approx. 3-5 seconds but felt like much longer. Does anyone know what this phenomenon is that would cause such disorientation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the name but the experience. I had it more often as a child. All of a sudden the feeling for sizes or in this case movements got out of their way. I think you can quite easily simulate it in a train when leaving the station. If you're in the right mood, you can imagine the station moves, not the train. Sorry, that I have no name for it.

I believe pilots call it spatial disorientation. It occurs most frequently to them at night or bad weather. Can feel like you are banking, climbing or diving when you arent or lead you to mistrust your instruments.

In your case it's likely that your senses were giving you conflicting messages. Eg your sense of touch telling you are moving or braking in one direction while your eyes (seeing the other car) are telling you that you are moving in another.

More..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatial_disorientation

Last edited:
It happens to people on a train in the station beside another train. You see relative motion between the two trains, but your mind can jump back and forth trying to interpret which train is moving.

I think @CWatters is right, spatial disorientation. Your mind tries to make a mental model consistent with your senses.
When the model fails, you're disoriented.

Out brains automatically/unconsciously integrate multiple sensory inputs to determine the body's state of motion, then it reports the conclusion to our conscious thought. If it comes to the wrong conclusion, it tells you you are moving when you are not (or vice versa). At the same time, you can consciously decide whether you are moving or not. If you come to a different conclusion, it creates an uncomfortable conflict.

What I wonder is if our subconscious can be trained to accept other inputs or if it would have to evolve.

After looking at the link, the specific type of spatial disorientation is Vection.

For me, the worst is backing up and seeing an adjacent car backing up at the same speed out of my periphery. Inner ear says I am moving backward, but peripheral vision says I'm staying still. This is usually reason enough for me to hit the brake suddenly.

It seems to be worse if I'm looking down at a backup camera than if I have my head up, looking at mirrors.

Likes berkeman
ChemAir said:
After looking at the link, the specific type of spatial disorientation is Vection.

Yup, that sounds correct.

1. What causes disorientation when backing up next to a car pulling out?

Disorientation during backing up next to a car pulling out can be caused by a number of factors, such as distractions inside the car, poor visibility due to weather conditions or obstructions, and lack of familiarity with the surroundings.

2. How can I prevent disorientation while backing up next to a car pulling out?

To prevent disorientation, it is important to eliminate distractions inside the car and maintain focus on the task at hand. It is also helpful to check the surroundings before backing up and use mirrors to ensure clear visibility. Familiarizing yourself with the surroundings can also help prevent disorientation.

3. Are there any specific techniques for avoiding disorientation while backing up next to a car pulling out?

Yes, there are a few techniques that can help prevent disorientation. These include using a spotter to guide you, practicing backing up in an empty parking lot to improve your skills, and using a rear-view camera if your car is equipped with one.

4. What should I do if I do become disoriented while backing up next to a car pulling out?

If you do become disoriented, the best thing to do is to stop the car and take a moment to reorient yourself. Take a deep breath and try to focus on the task at hand. If necessary, ask for assistance from a passenger or someone nearby.

5. Is disorientation while backing up next to a car pulling out a common problem?

Yes, disorientation while backing up next to a car pulling out is a common problem. It can happen to anyone, regardless of their driving experience. However, by following safe driving practices and staying alert, it can easily be prevented.