1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Displacement current inside spherical capacitor

1. Jan 29, 2013 #1
    You have a spherical capacitor with inner conductor radius a and outer conductor with radius b. The capacitor is filled with a perfect homogeneous dielectric of permittivity ε and is connected to a low-frequency time-harmonic voltage v(t)=V[itex]_{0}[/itex]cos(ωt). Find the displacement current density vector at an arbitrary point in the dielectric.

Equations:

C=[itex]\frac{εS}{r}[/itex] ; S-area of the plates; r-distance

i(t)=C[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex]

Approach:

for starters I subbed the capacitance equation into the current equation and achieved this result:

i(t)=[itex]\frac{εS}{r}[/itex]*[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex]

taking the first derivative of the voltage and subbing it into the equation gives me:

i(t)=[itex]\frac{εS}{r}[/itex]*-V[itex]_{0}[/itex]ωsin(ωt)

Now I divide both sides of the equation by S in order to get the current density. I then integrate this equation with respect to r from the inner radius to the outer radius:

J[itex]_{d}[/itex](t)=-[itex]\frac{εV_{0}sin(ωt)}{ln(b/a)}[/itex]

More or less I don't know if I computed this correctly so any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. Compute C for your capacitor. Don't forget ε.
    2. Use i = CdV/dt to get the total current.
    3. Find the current density at any point r, a < r < b, by dividing the total current by the area of the surface at r.

For (1), use Gauss's law and C = q/V. V = ∫abE(r)dr.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook