Infinite current required to change capacitor voltage instantaneously?

In summary, the homework statement said that if the voltage across a capacitor were to change instantaneously, the capacitor current would be infinite. However, this is not possible because the voltage change occurs over a time interval that is too short for the current to reach its infinite value.
CoolDude420

Homework Statement

We just started capacitors in class and we were introduced to the formulae q=CV and i = C*dV/dt
In the notes it said that if the voltage across a capacitor were to change instantenously, the capacitor current would be infinite.

It goes on to say why this is never possible. But what I don't understand is, how would the capacitor current be infinite if the voltage did change instantaneously? How did he come to that conclusion that the current would be infinite due to a voltage change.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
CoolDude420 said:

Homework Statement

We just started capacitors in class and we were introduced to the formulae q=CV and i = C*dV/dt
In the notes it said that if the voltage across a capacitor were to change instantenously, the capacitor current would be infinite.

It goes on to say why this is never possible. But what I don't understand is, how would the capacitor current be infinite if the voltage did change instantaneously? How did he come to that conclusion that the current would be infinite due to a voltage change.
It's a result of the dV/dt factor, the instantaneous rate of change of voltage.
Suppose the voltage at time t = 0 is 0 V. and the voltage sometime later.
If the voltage increases to 12 V in 1 second, what's ##\frac{\Delta V}{\Delta t}##? (I.e., what's the average time rate of change of voltage?)
What if the increase happens in .1 second? In .01 second? In .001 second? And that's still not instantaneous. With ever shorter time intervals, what happens to ##\frac{\Delta V}{\Delta t}##?
Current i is directly proportional to dV/dt, so as dV/dt gets larger, so does i.

Likes cnh1995
Instantaneous voltage change means zero capacitive reactance, so you'd have 3 sources of impedance left: loss resistance, inductive reactance, and radiation resistance.

1. What is meant by "infinite current" in relation to changing a capacitor's voltage instantaneously?

When we refer to "infinite current" in this context, we are talking about an extremely large and instantaneous current flow that would be required to change the voltage across a capacitor in an infinitely small amount of time. This theoretical concept is used to understand the physical limitations of capacitors and their ability to store and release electrical energy.

2. Is it possible to achieve infinite current in reality?

No, it is not possible to achieve infinite current in reality. This is because there are physical limitations that prevent the flow of current from being instantaneous or infinitely large. These limitations include the resistance of the circuit and the properties of the capacitor itself.

3. Why is infinite current required to change capacitor voltage instantaneously?

Infinite current is required to change capacitor voltage instantaneously because capacitors are designed to store electrical energy in the form of an electric field. In order to change this electric field and thus the voltage across the capacitor, a very large and instantaneous current is needed to overcome the resistance and charge the capacitor in an extremely short amount of time.

4. What happens if we try to exceed the maximum current capacity of a capacitor?

If we try to exceed the maximum current capacity of a capacitor, it can lead to the capacitor becoming damaged or even exploding. This is because the excess current can cause overheating and damage to the capacitor's components, potentially leading to a short circuit.

5. How does the concept of infinite current relate to the practical use of capacitors?

The concept of infinite current is important in understanding the limitations of capacitors and their practical use. It helps us understand the trade-off between the amount of energy a capacitor can store and the time it takes to charge and discharge. In real-world applications, capacitors are designed to handle specific amounts of current and have specific charge and discharge times, making them useful for a variety of electronic devices and systems.