1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance Between Closed sets in a metric space

1. Sep 26, 2006 #1
    Hey guys, thanks for looking at this.

Ok, so we're given the distance, d(x,C) between a point, x, and a closed set C in a metric space to be: inf{d(x,y): for all y in C}. Then we have to generalize this to define the distance between two sets I'm fairly certain you can define it as:

the distance between closed sets D and C in a metric space, d(C,D) = inf{d(y,D): for all y contained in C}. Which should be equivalent to inf{d(x,y): for all x,y contained in C,D respectively}.

My question is this: How to construct an example of two closed, disjoint sets whose distance is zero under this definition? I feel like I need to find two sets containing points that can be made arbitrarily close, but am unsure how to do this without some point being a limit point of both sets, contradicting C,D disjoint.

If you guys have an idea that would be great, I'd much prefer a hint or nudge in the right direction if possible.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I presume you get to pick your metric space too...

4. Sep 26, 2006 #3
    yes, sorry, forgot to mention that we're talking about a generalized metric space.

I must say that I have a hard time imagining a scenario where this (the aforementioned problem) is possible, I formerly operated under the assumption(read:intuition) that closed and disjoint in a metric space implied some distance between sets.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  5. Sep 26, 2006 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's my approach -- figure out your sets first, then decide upon the metric space. :smile:

6. Sep 26, 2006 #5
    thanks for the help!

7. Mar 30, 2010 #6
    Consider unbounded sets. The distance of two unbounded sets in Euclidean spaces (with the usual metric) can be 0.

Example: Let A = {(t,0): t>=0}, B={(t,1/t): t>=0}. Both are closed, unbounded and their distance is 0.

If one of the sets compact, then the distance can never be zero.

Proof: Let A be compact, B be closed. Since d(A,B) = inf{d(x,y): x in A, y in B}, there exists two sequences (x_n) in A and (y_n) in B, s.t. lim d(x_n,y_n) = d(A,B). Since A is compact, (x_n) has a convergent subsequence (x_n_k), say lim (x_n_k) = x0 in A. Since (d(x_n,y_n)) is convergent, so is its subsequence (d(x_n_k,y_n_k)). In sum,
    d(A,B) = lim d(x_n,y_n) = lim (d(x_n_k,y_n_k)) = lim (d(x0,y_n_k)).

Now, if d(A,B) = 0, then x0 is an accumulation point of B. Since B is closed, x0 must be in B. But, x0 cannot be both in A and B: the two sets are disjoint. Thus, we must have d(A,B)>0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?