1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalent Metrics From Clopen Sets

1. Apr 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that if ##(X,d)## is a metric space and ##C## and ##X \setminus C## are nonempty clopen sets, then there is an equivalent metric ##\rho## on ##X## such that ##\forall a \in C, \quad \forall b \in X \setminus C, \quad \rho(a,b) \geq 1##.

I know the term "clopen" is not a very formal definition, at least not to my knowledge, but it does describe the two properties of the given sets: they are both open and closed.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Would I have to show that the metric ##\rho## satisfies the properties of a metric or would I need to show that the metric ##d## and the metric ##\rho## generate the same topology to show they are equivalent?

If I define a function ##\rho: X \times X \to \mathbb{R}_+## by the following:

if both ##x,y## lie in either ##C## or ##X \setminus C##, then ##\rho(x,y) = d(x,y)##. Otherwise, let ##\rho(x,y) = d(x,y) +100##, say. How do I proceed to show that this function satisfies the properties of a metric, that it is equivalent to ##d##, and that it satisfies the desired property of ##\rho(x,y) \geq 1 ##?

As a side thought, would using sequences be useful here, or would this be a completely different approach?

Any help with this problem is greatly appreciated as I do not know where to begin or how to proceed in writing up a correct proof.

Thanks in advance for your time and patience.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2015 #2

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you know what property follows , i.e., is equivalent to having a clopen set other than X and the empty set?

4. Apr 5, 2015 #3
    Would it have something to do with being connected? My textbook states that a space ##X## is connected if there do not exist open subsets ##A, B## of ##X## such that ##A \neq \emptyset, \quad B \neq \emptyset, \quad A \cap B = \emptyset, \quad A \cup B = X##. Is this equivalent? Thank you for your prompt response.

5. Apr 5, 2015 #4

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Precisely, good going.

6. Apr 5, 2015 #5
    Ok, so if ##C \cup X \setminus C = X##, then this creates a separation, according to what I am reading from Fred H. Croom's Principles of Topology. How do I tie this together with metric spaces to show equivalence? Again, many thanks for your feedback.

7. Apr 5, 2015 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are two notions of equivalent metrics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivalence_of_metrics Which one are you using? I'm guessing you are just looking for topological equivalence.

8. Apr 5, 2015 #7
    Yes, we are using topological equivalence. To be honest, I do not think I have seen strong equivalence before. Thank you for this clarification.

9. Apr 5, 2015 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well then, just go ahead with your idea. Show ##\rho## is a metric. That should be easy. Then show they both generate the same topology. That's where you use the 'clopen'.

10. Apr 5, 2015 #9

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The basic properties of [itex]\rho [/itex] as a metric follow from those of [itex]d(x,y) [/itex]. Just consider the cases for x,y,z are not all in the same component.

11. Apr 6, 2015 #10
    So by construction, ##\rho(x,y) = d(x,y)## if both ##x,y \in C## or ##x,y \in X \setminus C##. As for considering the cases where ##x,y,z## are not all in the same component, my book defines component of a topological space as a connected subset ##C## of ##X## which is not a proper subset of any connected subset of ##X##. There is also a list of properties of the components which follow the definition, but I am unsure how to properly use this.

I get the feeling that showing the triangle inequality would look something like this:

if ##\rho(x,z) \leq \rho(x,y) + \rho(y,z)##, then let ##\rho(x,y) = d(x,y)+50## and let ## \rho(y,z) = d(x,y)+50## so that we get ##\rho(x,z) \leq d(x,y) +100##. Does this seem correct? Many thanks for your time and assistance.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  12. Apr 6, 2015 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

WWGD was just using the word 'component' to refer to either ##C## or ##X \setminus C##. You know ##d## is a metric so use that to show the ##\rho## you defined in first post is also a metric.

So you can start by assuming ##d(x,y) \le d(x,z) + d(z,y)## for any ##x, y, z##. You want to show ##\rho(x,y) \le \rho(x,z) + \rho(z,y)##. Just consider the cases. It's pretty obvious if ##x##, ##y## and ##z## lie in the same set, yes? Now just consider other cases, like ##x## and ##y## lie in the same set and ##z## lies in the other. Or ##x## and ##z## are in the same set and ##y## is in the other. Is the ##\rho## inequality also true then? Just substitute for what ##\rho## is in terms of ##d##. Do you still get true inequalities?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted