Distance between Compact Subsets

In summary: But can you please explain why you specifically wanted to use the epsilons? I mean, we know that there exist \(x_1\) and \(y_1\) such that,\[\delta\leq d(x_1,\,y_1)<\delta+1\]and \(x_2\) and \(y_2\) such that,\[\delta\leq d(x_2,\,y_2)<\delta+\frac{1}{2}\]and generally, \(x_n\) and \(y_n\) such that,\[\delta\
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

Here's a question that I couldn't find the full answer. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Let \((X,\,d)\) be a metric space. Let \(F_1,\,F_2\) be two nonempty compact subsets of \(X\). Prove that, there exists \(x_1\in F_1,\,x_2\in F_2,\) such that,

\[d(x_1,\,x_2)=\mbox{inf}\{d(x,\,y):x\in F_1,\,y\in F_2\}\]

I felt that the compactness of \(F_1\) and \(F_2\) could be brought into the question using the following equivalency. However all my attempts to solve the question weren't successful. :)

Let \((X,\,d)\) be a metric space and \(S\) is a compact subspace of \(X\). Then, any sequence of points in \(S\) has a subsequence which is convergent to a point in \(S\).

Physics news on Phys.org
Sudharaka said:
Here's a question that I couldn't find the full answer. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
I felt that the compactness of \(F_1\) and \(F_2\) could be brought into the question using the following equivalency. However all my attempts to solve the question weren't successful.
Assume that \(\displaystyle F_1\cap F_2=\emptyset\), otherwise there is nothing to prove.
Let \(\displaystyle D(F_1,F_2)=\delta=\inf\{d(x,y):x\in F_1~\&~y\in F_2\}\)
\(\displaystyle \exists x_1\in F_1~\&~y_1\in F_2\) such that \(\displaystyle \delta\le d(x_1,y_1)<\delta+1\)

Let \(\displaystyle \epsilon_2=\min\{.5, d(x_1,y_1)\}\).
\(\displaystyle \exists x_2\in F_1~\&~y_2\in F_2\) such that \(\displaystyle \delta\le d(x_2,y_2)<\delta+\epsilon_2\).

Let \(\displaystyle \epsilon_n=\min\{n^{-1}, d(x_{n-1},y_{n-1})\}\).
\(\displaystyle \exists x_n\in F_1~\&~y_n\in F_2\) such that \(\displaystyle \delta\le d(x_n,y_n)<\delta+\epsilon_n\).

Now use compactness to get limits points of the two sequences.

Plato said:
Assume that \(\displaystyle F_1\cap F_2=\emptyset\), otherwise there is nothing to prove.
Let \(\displaystyle D(F_1,F_2)=\delta=\inf\{d(x,y):x\in F_1~\&~y\in F_2\}\)
\(\displaystyle \exists x_1\in F_1~\&~y_1\in F_2\) such that \(\displaystyle \delta\le d(x_1,y_1)<\delta+1\)

Let \(\displaystyle \epsilon_2=\min\{.5, d(x_1,y_1)\}\).
\(\displaystyle \exists x_2\in F_1~\&~y_2\in F_2\) such that \(\displaystyle \delta\le d(x_2,y_2)<\delta+\epsilon_2\).

Let \(\displaystyle \epsilon_n=\min\{n^{-1}, d(x_{n-1},y_{n-1})\}\).
\(\displaystyle \exists x_n\in F_1~\&~y_n\in F_2\) such that \(\displaystyle \delta\le d(x_n,y_n)<\delta+\epsilon_n\).

Now use compactness to get limits points of the two sequences.

Thank you so much. The thing I missed was to use the right hand side of the inequalities,
\(d(x_1,\, y_1)< \delta \,\cdots ,\, d(x_n,\,y_n)<\delta+\epsilon_n\) and so on. Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it. :)

But can you please explain why you specifically wanted to use the epsilons? I mean, we know that there exist \(x_1\) and \(y_1\) such that,

\[\delta\leq d(x_1,\,y_1)<\delta+1\]

and \(x_2\) and \(y_2\) such that,

\[\delta\leq d(x_2,\,y_2)<\delta+\frac{1}{2}\]

and generally, \(x_n\) and \(y_n\) such that,

\[\delta\leq d(x_n,\,y_n)<\delta+\frac{1}{n}\]

Using the compactness we can still arrive at the result isn't? :)

1. What is the definition of the "distance between compact subsets"?

The distance between compact subsets is the shortest distance between any two points, one from each subset. It is a measure of how far apart the two subsets are from each other.

2. How is the distance between compact subsets calculated?

To calculate the distance between compact subsets, we first find the smallest distance between any two points, one from each subset. This can be done using various mathematical techniques such as Euclidean distance or Hausdorff distance. The resulting distance is then considered as the distance between the two subsets.

3. Can the distance between compact subsets be negative?

No, the distance between compact subsets cannot be negative. It is always a positive value representing the distance between the two subsets.

4. What is the significance of the distance between compact subsets in mathematics?

The distance between compact subsets is an important concept in topology and geometry. It helps us understand the relationship between different sets and their spatial properties. It is also used in many real-world applications such as computer graphics, image processing, and data analysis.

5. How does the distance between compact subsets relate to the concept of compactness?

The distance between compact subsets is closely related to the concept of compactness. A subset is considered compact if it is closed and bounded. The distance between two compact subsets is finite and is zero if and only if the two subsets are the same. This shows that the distance between compact subsets is a measure of their compactness.