1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance between two bright fringes

1. Apr 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A new experiment is created with the screen at a distance of 2.2 m from the slits (with spacing 0.12 mm). What is the distance between the second order bright fringe of light with l = 683 nm and the third order bright fringe of light with l = 400 nm? (Give the absolute value of the smallest possible distance between these two fringes: the distance between bright fringes on the same side of the central bright fringe.)

2. Relevant equations
    sin∅=mλ/d

3. The attempt at a solution
    For first wavelength,
    ∅=arcsin(2(683*10^-9)/1.2*10^-4)
    ∅=.65
    Setting up triangle, I get D_683=2.2tan(.65)=.0249

For second wavelength,
    ∅=arcsin(3(400*10^-9)/1.2*10^-4)
    ∅=.57
    Setting up triangle, I get D_400=2.2tan(.57)=.0219
    I thought that D_683-D_400 should give me the distance between the two fringes but my answer of .003m keeps getting rejected. I have done this problem over and over and I cannot for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2012 #2
    The math looks pretty solid to me. Not quite sure why that answer would be rejected. Sorry if that's not helpful.

4. Apr 17, 2012 #3
    Might want to find the width of each fringe too, it does state smallest possible value, but with your calculation it is not smallest possible value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook