Distance from a point to a plane

In summary: Equivalently, if ##\vec V## is a vector from P to any point Q on the plane, and ##\hat n## is a unit normal to the plane, then$$|\vec V \times \hat n| = |\vec V|\cdot 1 \cdot \sin\theta = d$$so all you have to remember is to take the magnitude of ##\vec V \times \hat n##.
GwtBc

Homework Statement

What is the distance from the point P to the plane S?

Homework Equations

## S = \left \{ r_{0} + s(u_{1},u_{2},u_{3})+t(v_{1},v_{2},v_{3}) | s,t \in \mathbb{R} \right \} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I found an expression for the general distance between point P and a point on S, then found an expression for the distance and took the partial derivatives , ## \frac{\partial r}{\partial s} ## and ## \frac{\partial r}{\partial t}## (both of the argument of the square root function) and set both to zero, then solved the resulting linear equations. Is this the right method?

Physics news on Phys.org
It will work, but there is an easier way to do it by finding a normal vector of the plane and projecting the difference vector between the point and any point in the plane on it.

Likes GwtBc
Orodruin said:
It will work, but there is an easier way to do it by finding a normal vector of the plane and projecting the difference vector between the point and any point in the plane on it.
Wouldn't that just give me another vector in terms of x, y and z that I'd have to minimize?

GwtBc said:
Wouldn't that just give me another vector in terms of x, y and z that I'd have to minimize?
No. It gives you the difference vector between the point and the closest point in the plane. You get the distance by computing its magnitude. (Note the projection part of the procedure!)

Orodruin said:
No. It gives you the difference vector between the point and the closest point in the plane. You get the distance by computing its magnitude. (Note the projection part of the procedure!)
Got it. Thanks for the help.

Equivalently, if ##\vec V## is a vector from P to any point Q on the plane, and ##\hat n## is a unit normal to the plane, then$$|\vec V \times \hat n| = |\vec V|\cdot 1 \cdot \sin\theta = d$$so all you have to remember is to take the magnitude of ##\vec V \times \hat n##.
Edit, added: Please ignore this post. This method works for finding the distance from a point to a line, where ##\hat n## is a unit direction vector along the line.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
Equivalently, if ##\vec V## is a vector from P to any point Q on the plane, and ##\hat n## is a unit normal to the plane, then$$|\vec V \times \hat n| = |\vec V|\cdot 1 \cdot \sin\theta = d$$so all you have to remember is to take the magnitude of ##\vec V \times \hat n##.
This is not equivalent. You want ##\vec V\cdot \hat n##. The cross product you quote is also dependent on which point in the plane you chose.

Orodruin said:
This is not equivalent. You want ##\vec V\cdot \hat n##. The cross product you quote is also dependent on which point in the plane you chose.

You're correct of course. I must have posted that before I was fully awake.

What is the concept of "distance from a point to a plane"?

The distance from a point to a plane is the shortest distance between the point and any point on the plane. It is essentially the length of the perpendicular line segment from the point to the plane.

How is the distance from a point to a plane calculated?

The distance from a point to a plane can be calculated using the formula d = |ax + by + cz + d|/√(a² + b² + c²), where (x, y, z) represents the coordinates of the point, and a, b, and c are the coefficients of the plane's equation in standard form (ax + by + cz + d = 0).

What does the sign of the distance from a point to a plane indicate?

If the calculated distance is positive, it means that the point is on the same side of the plane as the normal vector. If the distance is negative, the point is on the opposite side of the plane.

Can the distance from a point to a plane be negative?

Yes, the distance from a point to a plane can be negative if the point is on the opposite side of the plane as the normal vector.

How is the distance from a point to a plane used in real-world applications?

The concept of distance from a point to a plane is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It can be used to determine the shortest distance between a point and a surface, which is useful in designing structures, calculating forces, and creating 3D models.