1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance of x,y and z intercepts of a plane

1. Apr 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a,b and c are the x-,y-, and z-intercepts of a plane, respectively, and d is the distance from the origin to the plane show that:

1/d2=1/a2+1/b2+1/c2

2. Relevant equations

distance from a point to a plane: [tex]
    d=|Ax0 + By0 + Cz0 +D|/√a2+b2+c2

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I have been able to draw it and what I am getting is that I can make 3 right angled triangles. One would be: (O is the origin, all of these would be vectors)
    AO +OD =DA
    OB+ BD = DO
    OC +CD =DO
    I am also thinking that the distance from the plane to the origin would have to be the normal of the plane. But that's all I have.
    (i'm sorry i could not get the equation written with the code)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't include sup tags and square root symbols in tex. Quote this to see how I fixed that fraction. Notice that the plane with those intercepts can be written as$$
    \frac 1 a x + \frac 1 b y + \frac 1 c z = 1$$Now use your quoted formula to calculate the distance from ##(0,0,0)## to the plane. (I corrected your formula too.)

4. Apr 6, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So the equation of the plane is [itex]f(x, y, z)= \frac{x}{a}+ \frac{y}{b}+ \frac{z}{c}= 1[/itex]. The distance from the origin to the plane will be minimum when the vector perpendicular to the plane, [itex]\nabla f(x,y,z)= \frac{1}{a}\vec{i}+ \frac{1}{b}\vec{j}+ \frac{1}{b}\vec{k}[/itex], is parallel to the vector from the origin to the point, [itex]x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ z\vec{k}[/itex]. That is, there must be some number, [itex]\lambda[/itex] such that [itex]x= \frac{\lambda}{a}[/itex]
    [itex]y= \frac{\lambda}{b}[/itex], and [itex]z= \frac{\lambda}{c}[/itex]. (This argument is equivalent to the "Lagrange multiplier method" for dealing with max-min problems.)

Of course, since the point, (x, y, z), is on the plane, it must also satisfy the equation of the plane so we must have [itex]\frac{x}{a}+ \frac{y}{b}+ \frac{z}{c}= \frac{\lambda}{a^2}+ \frac{\lambda}{b^2}+ \frac{\lambda}{c^2}= 1[/itex]. That is, [itex]\lambda\left(\frac{1}{a^2}+\frac{1}{b^2}+\frac{1}{c^2}\right)= 1[/itex] so [itex]\lambda= \frac{1}{\frac{1}{a^2}+ \frac{1}{b^2}+ \frac{1}{c^2}}[/itex].

Of course, [itex]\frac{1}{a^2}+\frac{1}{b^2}+ \frac{1}{c^2}= \frac{b^2c^2}{a^2b^2c^2}+ \frac{a^2c^2}{a^2b^2c^2}+ \frac{a^2b^2}{a^2b^2c^2}= \frac{b^2c^2+ a^2c^2+ a^2b^2}{a^2b^2c^2}[/itex] so that [itex]\lambda= \frac{a^2b^2c^2}{b^2c^2+ a^2c^2+ a^2b^2}[/itex]. Putting that into [itex]x= \frac{\lambda}{a}[/itex], [itex]y= \frac{\lambda}{b}[/itex], and [itex]z= \frac{\lambda}{c}[/itex] gives
    [itex]x= \frac{ab^2c^2}{b^2c^2+ a^2c^2+ a^2b^2}[/itex], [itex]y= \frac{a^2bc^2}{b^2c^2+ a^2c^2+ a^2b^2}[/itex], and [itex]z= \frac{a^2b^2c}{b^2c^2+ a^2c^2+ a^2b^2}[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
  5. Apr 6, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This might be irrelevant to the OP, who after all, has posted in the Precalculus section.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted