Find Distance to Curve for Arbitrary Point - Nille

• Thread starter LostInSpace
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the conversation is discussing a bezier curve and finding all points on the curve that intersect with a given point. The curve is defined by equations for x(t) and y(t) and the constants are computed from vertices and control points. The goal is to find points \vec{b}(t_0) on the curve that intersect with a given point \vec{r} by using the tangent vector and dot product.
LostInSpace
Hi!

I have a bezier curve defined by:
[tex]
\vec{b}(t) = (x(t), y(t))
[/tex]
where
[tex]
\begin{array}{lcl}
x(t) &=& a_xt^3 + b_xt^2 + c_xt + x_0 \\
y(t) &=& a_yt^3 + b_yt^2 + c_yt + y_0
\end{array}
[/tex]
for [tex]t \in \lbrack 0, 1 \rbrack[/tex]. All constants are computed from vertices on the curve and control points associated with those vertices.

For an arbitrary point [tex]\vec{r}\in\mathbb{R}^2[/tex] I want to find all points [tex]\vec{b}_{t_0}\in\vec{b}(t)[/tex] (if any) that satisfies
[tex]\vec{b}_{t_0} + \nabla\vec{b}(t_0)s = \vec{r}[/tex]
for some [tex]s[/tex].

Not sure I'm correct here, but as fas as I remember, [tex]\nabla \vec{b}(t)[/tex] is the normal to the curve, right?

I don't know how to explain this in a better way...
For any point [tex]\vec{r}[/tex] I want to find all points [tex]\vec{b}(t_0)[/tex] such that the normal to [tex]\vec{b}(t_0)[/tex] intersects [tex]\vec{r}[/tex].

How can I do this?

Thanks in advance,
Nille

Physics news on Phys.org
LostInSpace said:
Not sure I'm correct here, but as fas as I remember, [tex]\nabla \vec{b}(t)[/tex] is the normal to the curve, right?
No, [tex]\nabla \vec{b}(t)[/tex] (or rather [tex]\frac{d \vec{b}}{dt}(t)[/tex]) is the tangent vector to the curve. I suppose you're looking for all [tex]t_0[/tex] for which the vector [tex]\vec{b}(t_0)-\vec{r}[/tex] is perpendicular to the tangent vector. This just means that there dotproduct is zero:

[tex](\vec{b}(t_0)-\vec{r})\cdot\frac{d \vec{b}}{dt}(t_0)=0[/tex]

Hi Nille,

Thank you for sharing your question with us. It seems like you are trying to find the distance from an arbitrary point \vec{r} to a bezier curve defined by \vec{b}(t). To find this distance, you can use the formula for the distance between a point and a curve, which is given by:

d = \frac{\lvert \vec{r} - \vec{b}(t_0) \rvert}{\lvert \nabla\vec{b}(t_0) \rvert}

where \lvert \cdot \rvert denotes the magnitude or length. In other words, you need to find the value of t_0 that minimizes the distance between \vec{r} and \vec{b}(t_0). This can be done by setting the derivative of d with respect to t_0 equal to 0 and solving for t_0.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

1. How do you find the distance to a curve for an arbitrary point?

To find the distance to a curve for an arbitrary point, you can use the distance formula from the point to the curve. This involves finding the coordinates of the closest point on the curve to the arbitrary point and then calculating the distance between those two points.

2. What is the significance of finding the distance to a curve for an arbitrary point?

Finding the distance to a curve for an arbitrary point can be useful in many applications, such as optimizing routes, designing curved structures, or analyzing data points. It can also provide valuable information about the relationship between the point and the curve.

3. Can you find the distance to a curve for an arbitrary point using only basic geometry?

Yes, it is possible to find the distance to a curve for an arbitrary point using basic geometry. This can be done by drawing a perpendicular line from the point to the curve and then using the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the distance.

4. How does the distance to a curve for an arbitrary point differ from the distance to a straight line?

The distance to a curve for an arbitrary point is typically longer than the distance to a straight line. This is because a curve has a varying slope and can deviate from the straight path between two points, making the distance longer.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the distance to a curve for an arbitrary point?

One limitation is that the curve must be continuous and differentiable at the point in question. Additionally, the accuracy of the distance calculation may depend on the method used and the precision of the coordinates of the point and the curve.