Distance traveled by wheel with varying diameter and weight

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
ncmtber
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
First off, please excuse my general lack of physics knowledge, it's been 10 yrs since one year of it in high school ... but I can usually follow along pretty well once pointed in the right direction.

I've been curious about the relationship of wheel weight and diameter in relation to distance traveled holding everything else constant.

Specifically let's say I have two wheels, one is smaller in diameter and also weighs less than the other. If I apply the same power (or is it work or force?) to the wheel via a crank (think uncicyle wheel to simplify), how do I figure out how far the two wheels will travel respectively for a given time?

Do I need to differentiate between a traditional wheel with hub/spokes/rim/tire and a solid disk or does it really matter?

I'd assume a heavier/larger wheel will travel farther than a lighter/smaller wheel up to a point but as weight grows more of the power applied will need to overcome accelerating from 0 but I'd like to learn how to find the actual figures for comparison. I don't need asnwers, but where to start or formulas that may help instead. I'm pretty sure I'm overthinking this and searching the forums didn't help me much.

Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the setup. If only rolling resistance is relevant and this resistance is proportional to the mass then only the shape matters - wheels with a lot of mass near the rim will have more initial energy per mass and roll farther than wheels where most of the mass is near the center.