Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distillation question need help on finding q!

1. Mar 17, 2009 #1
    hi guys
    ive been given a problem and ive worked most of it out but im not sure whether my answer for the feed line (q) is correct can i get somebody to re assure me on how to plot it onto the graph and get it correctly. heres the question below.

A mixture containing 40 mole% heptane and 60 mole% octane is to be separated in a distillation column operating at a pressure of 1 bar. The distillate and the bottom product will contain 97 mole% heptane and 4 mole% heptane respectively. The feed rate will be 200 kmol h-1. The feed will be a mixture of 85% liquid at its boiling point and 15% saturated vapour. A reflux ratio of 2.1 is to be used. The plate efficiency is 75%.

Using the given information, determine:

(i) the top and bottom flowrates [kmol h-1],
    which i found to be W= 122.58 and D= 78.42

(ii) the number of actual plates required for the separation using the McCabe Thiele graphical method,
    i got 13 stages from the graph but i dont know if its right because i dont know if my q is right and im not sure how to exactly plot it on the graph. so then i get actual plates to be 18
    (iii) the minimum reflux ratio, and
    i got this to be 1.62
    (iv) the number of stages at total reflux.
    i think its N+1 which is 13+1 so 14

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2009 #2

alxm

Science Advisor

Hmm. I used to know how to do this.. once. :)

Drawing the q line.. well you're told:
    "The feed will be a mixture of 85% liquid at its boiling point and 15% saturated vapour"

So you start at the x=y line at your feed concentration. q is the mol fraction of liquid, and from the above you have q=0.85.

The slope of the q line is q/(q-1), vertical for saturated liquid, horizontal for saturated vapor.

4. Mar 18, 2009 #3
    i know that dude but i dont understand how to put the q line on the graph? i kno its going to haev a negative gradient but i dont understand on how plot it. i think u put the Xf going up to the 45 degree line then from there what do i do?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook