Divergence and transversal extension integral definitions

In summary: The transverse extension is the width of the beam in position space, and it is proportional to the variance of the beam's intensity profile, where the intensity profile is given by ##|E|^2##. Again, you take the analogy between the probability distribution in position plane and the intensity profile of the beam, and use the formula above to calculate the variance, which is equal to the mean square of ##|E|^2##.
Gabriel Maia
Hi. I am reading a paper about gaussian beams and the author says that gaussian beams have simultaneously minimal divergence and minimal transversal extension. In order to prove it, the author states that

[itex]\mathrm{divergenece} \propto \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{d\,k_{x}}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{d\,k_{y}}{2\pi} (k_{x}^{2}+k_{y}^{2})|A(k_{x},k_{y})|^2[/itex]

and

[itex]\mathrm{transversal \, extension} \propto \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} d\,x \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} d\,y (x^{2}+y^{2})|E|^2[/itex],

where

[itex]E = \int \frac{d\,k_{x}}{2\pi} \int \frac{d\,k_{y}}{2\pi} A(k_{x},k_{y}) \exp[i\,k_{x}\,x + i\,k_{y}\,y+i \, \sqrt{k^2-k_{x}^2-k_{y}^2} \, z] [/itex]

is the electric field amplitude and [itex]A(k_{x},k_{y})[/itex] is the amplitude distribution.

I look it up and I couldn't find these integral definitions of divergence and transversal extension. Does anybody have a source on these? Or could at least give me an idea about how they came to be defined this way?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gabriel Maia said:
##\mathrm{divergenece} \propto \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{d\,k_{x}}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{d\,k_{y}}{2\pi} (k_{x}^{2}+k_{y}^{2})|A(k_{x},k_{y})|^2##
The divergence of a beam of light is best characterized by the width of the spatial frequency spectrum ##|A(k_x,k_y)|^2##. The reason being the spatial frequency ##(k_x,k_y)## is proportional to the angle the corresponding plane wave component (a pair of spatial frequency coordinates ##(k_x,k_y)## describes a single plane wave component out of the plane wave bundle making up the beam) deviates from the beam's propagation direction. The wider ##|A(k_x,k_y)|^2## is, the more plane wave components propagating at larger angles are contained within that beam.

The particular equation you have there is actually the formula for the width of the spectrum in terms of its variance in a radial direction in ##(k_x,k_y)## plane, i.e. ##k^2=k_{x}^{2}+k_{y}^{2}##. Remember that if you have a continuous probability distribution ##P(x)## of a continuous variable ##x##, you can find its variance from the mean square and the mean value of ##P(x)## where the mean square is given by
$$
\langle x^2 \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^\infty x^2 P(x) dx
$$
,the mean is
$$
\langle x \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^\infty x P(x) dx.
$$
and the variance ##\sigma## is
$$
\sigma = \langle x^2 \rangle-\langle x \rangle^2
$$
In the equation of the Gaussian beam above, you take the analogy between ##P(x)## and ##|A(k_x,k_y)|^2## and use the above formula to calculate the mean square and the mean value of ##|A(k_x,k_y)|^2##. The mean value is zero because ##|A(k_x,k_y)|^2## is symmetric and centered about ##k_x=k_y=0## and hence the divergence, represented as the variance of ##|A(k_x,k_y)|^2## is equal to its mean square
$$
\langle k^2 \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{d\,k_{x}}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{d\,k_{y}}{2\pi} k^2|A(k_{x},k_{y})|^2
$$
Gabriel Maia said:
[itex]\mathrm{transversal \, extension} \propto \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} d\,x \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} d\,y (x^{2}+y^{2})|E|^2[/itex],
Exactly the same principle about calculating the variance like the one above, but this time applied to the beam in the position plane.

Likes Gabriel Maia

1. What is the definition of divergence in mathematics?

Divergence is a mathematical operation that measures the rate at which a vector field is spreading out or converging at a given point. It is represented by the symbol ∇ ⋅ F and is calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient operator (∇) and the vector field (F).

2. How is divergence used in physics?

In physics, divergence is used to calculate the flow of a vector field through a given surface. It is an important concept in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and other areas of physics where vector fields are used to describe physical phenomena.

3. What is the relationship between divergence and transversal extension?

Transversal extension is a type of deformation that occurs when a material is stretched or compressed in a direction perpendicular to the direction of the applied force. Divergence is closely related to transversal extension, as it measures the change in volume of the material due to this type of deformation.

4. How is transversal extension integral defined?

The transversal extension integral is a mathematical expression that calculates the total change in volume of a material due to transversal extension. It is represented by the symbol ∫ ∇ ⋅ F dV, where the integral is taken over the entire volume of the material.

5. What are some real-world applications of divergence and transversal extension?

Divergence and transversal extension are used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and materials science. Some examples of real-world applications include analyzing fluid flow in pipes, designing structures to withstand stress and deformation, and understanding the behavior of materials under different types of forces.