Divergence free vector fields in R^n

In summary, you can solve the divergence theorem for a divergence free vector field by induction. You can also use the curl operator to relate the divergence to a div free vector field.
szf654
Prove that every divergence free vector field on R^n, n>1 is of the form:

v(x)=SUM dAij/dxi *ej

where Aij(x) is smooth function from R^n to R such that Aij(x)=-Aji(x) i.e. matrix $[Aij(x)]$ is skew symmetric for every vector x.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this homework ? If so, you're in the wrong section and you should post your thoughts before asking for help. That's normally how homeworks are dealt with.

Thanks for pointing out, I am new here :)

OK, good. So what are your ideas to solve the problem ?

Oh, I reposted into homework section, but let me write here as well.

2. Homework Equations

Divergence of field v at p is Sum dv(x)/dxi. Vield is a divergence free if dv(x)/dxi=0 for every x.

Divergence theorem: integral div v over S=integral v*n over dS where n is vector pointing out on dS (boundary of S).

3. The Attempt at a Solution
First I checked that the converse is true, i.e. if the vector field v has form (**) it is divergence free. That can be done by simple calculation div v and using that Aij is smooth so d^2 Aij/dxi*dx=d^2 Aij / dxj*dxi (i.e. order of differentiation does not matter) and we also use Aij+Aji=0.

My attempt was to use induction as noted in the pset, i.e. by using divergence theorem we get that integral v*n over dS for every closed surface. My idea was to somewhat relate this integral to a div free vector field over R^{n-1}, but I did not manage that.

Second thing I tried is to somehow integrate over line parallel to e^j and get non differential relationship between v and Aij, but I am not sure if that is a legitimate field and how to define Aij in that way properly.

Thanks for help!

A_ij is the 2 form dual to a pseudovector in 3 D. Any pseudovector is the curl of a vector.

So

[tex] A_{ij} = \epsilon_{ijk} \tilde{B}_k = \epsilon_{ijk} (\nabla \times \vec{C})_k [/tex]

Now you know that [itex] \nabla\cdot\vec{D} = 0 [/itex]. From these 2 things you can infer that

[tex] \vec{D} = \nabla \times\vec{C} [/tex]

where [itex] \vec{C}[/itex] is determined up to a gradient of a scalar.

Last edited:
Thanks, but to be honest I am familiar with the curl, but its the first time I hear about pseudovector and forms. Is there a way to avoid using it?

Divergence and curl are differential operators acting on vectors in R^3 and generally in R^n. Also the gradient and the laplacian. You must know about them, if you're into this problem.

Well in my class we did not define them, just the divergence, and we are still required to solve this problem.

In this case, you can exploit the fact that the derivative operators commute and contract them with an arbitrary antisymmetric tensor.

[tex] \partial_i v_i = 0 \leftrightarrow v_i = \partial_j A_{ij} [/tex], [itex] A_{ij} = -A_{ji} [/itex]

To show that such a tensor exists means to solve a system of PDEs of 1st order (3eqns for 3 independent components of A).

It seems that your look at this problem is way above my level of understanding :)

1. What is a divergence free vector field in R^n?

A divergence free vector field in R^n is a vector field where the divergence, which measures the flow of a vector field at a particular point, is equal to zero. This means that the vector field has no sources or sinks at that point and the flow is conserved.

2. What is the significance of divergence free vector fields in R^n?

Divergence free vector fields in R^n are important in many areas of science, particularly in fluid dynamics and electromagnetism. In fluid dynamics, they represent incompressible flow, while in electromagnetism, they represent magnetic fields with no sources or sinks.

3. How can we determine if a vector field is divergence free in R^n?

To determine if a vector field is divergence free in R^n, we can use the divergence theorem, which states that the flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of the field within the surface. If the flux is zero, then the vector field is divergence free.

4. Are there any real-life applications of divergence free vector fields in R^n?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of divergence free vector fields in R^n. In fluid dynamics, they are used to model the flow of fluids in pipes, rivers, and oceans. In electromagnetism, they are used to study the behavior of magnetic fields in motors, generators, and other electrical devices.

5. Can a vector field be both divergence free and curl free in R^n?

Yes, a vector field can be both divergence free and curl free in R^n. This means that the vector field has no sources or sinks and no rotation at any point. Such a vector field is known as an irrotational and incompressible vector field and has important applications in fluid dynamics, such as in the study of potential flow.