Divergence in spherical polar coordinates

1. I took the divergence of the function 1/r2[itex]\widehat{r}[/itex] in spherical coordinate system and immediately got the answer as zero, but when I do it in cartesian coordiantes I get the answer as 5/r3.

for [itex]\widehat{r}[/itex] I used (xi+yj+zk)/(x2+y2+z2)1/2

what am i missing?

2. jcsd
  3. What you're missing is the handling of the singularity at r=0.

4. I like Serena

I like Serena 6,194
    Homework Helper

Hi Idoubt! :smile:

If I take the cartesian derivative with respect to x I get:
    [tex]{\partial \over \partial x}{x \over (x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}} = {-2 x^2+y^2+z^2 \over (x^2+y^2+z^2)^{5/2}}[/tex]
    Of course the derivatives wrt to y and z have to be added yet...

How did you get 5/r3?

5. sorry I made a silly error in my calculation

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex] x(x2+y2+z2)-[itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex] =

(x2+y2+z2)-[itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex] - 3x2(x2+y2+z2)-[itex]\frac{5}{2}[/itex]

When i add y & z parts it cancels and becomes zero, so the div of [itex]\frac{1}{r^2}[/itex][itex]\widehat{r}[/itex] is zero.

The reason that confused me was Electric fields can have a non zero divergence. Is that because of the singularity at r=0?

6. I like Serena

I like Serena 6,194
    Homework Helper

Not every electric field is generated by exactly 1 symmetrical charge.
    And in practice there is no singularity, since the charge would have to be a point charge for that.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  7. Isn't the field due to just one charged assumed to be a field created by a point charge? ( I mean it makes no difference if we make that assumption right? )

But, how can an electric field have a non zero divergence then?

8. I like Serena

I like Serena 6,194
    Homework Helper

Yes. It would only make a difference when you get very close to where the point charge is supposed to be.

Take for instance 2 point charges and you'll have non-zero divergence.

9. But when we take two charges we no longer have the [itex]\frac{1}{r^2}[/itex] function ( unless we approximate at large distances)

It is my understanding that even the electric field of a point charge has non zero divergence is it not so?

10. I like Serena

I like Serena 6,194
    Homework Helper

Right on both counts. :)

My point about point charge is unrelated to divergence.
    Only that a real electric field has no singularity.

11. my question is , how can a field which is scalar multiple of the function [itex]\frac{1}{r^2}[/itex][itex]\hat{r}[/itex] have a divergence when i just proved that the divergence of this function is zero?

12. vanhees71

vanhees71 4,046
    Science Advisor
    2014 Award

The divergence is not 0, it's [itex]4 \pi \delta^{(3)}(\vec{x})[/itex]. It's not too tricky to prove with help of Green's first integral theorem applied to the whole space with a little sphere around the origin taken out and then taking its radius to 0.

13. This by definition is a singularity isn't it?

14. In physics it's often modelled thusly AAMOI:

[​IMG]

I know not relevant but...

15. greek to me :)

16. meh a and b are just constants and in this case F(X) is obviously the Function of X.

The Greek symbol that looks like an O with a hat means Tensor.

E(X) I would assume means the Energy of the system in question in terms of the vector.

17. greek with a few constants and a function of x now =)

18. If you've done matrices you'll know a tensor is expressed as a matrix of a matrix.

A vector in this case is simply a matrix with a scalar.

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_space

So to steal more wiki imagery a tensor is:

[​IMG]

19. hmm ok ok so thats a little advanced for me, but my question was about the divergence of the [itex]\frac{1}{r^2}[/itex][itex]\hat{r}[/itex] function. In simpler terms can you tell me the reason for non-zero divergence in the electric field of a point charge?

20. vanhees71

vanhees71 4,046
    Science Advisor
    2014 Award

No, it's a distribution, the socalled Dirac [itex]\delta[/itex] distribution. It's a very useful concepts. It's even so useful that the mathematicians built a whole new subfield of mathematics to define this concept rigorously, functional analysis!

21. I like Serena

I like Serena 6,194
    Homework Helper

I suspect you're referring to Maxwell's law that says:
    [tex]\textrm{div }\vec E = \frac {\rho} {\epsilon_0}[/tex]

The divergence of a spherically symmetric charge is zero everywhere except at the place where the charge actually is.
    A point charge is a special case, since the charge density would be infinite (actually a Dirac delta-function).
    In practice the charge would take in a certain volume.
    The divergence of the electric field is not zero at the place where the charge density is not zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?