1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence of a cross product help

1. Mar 13, 2013 #1
    I need to prove the identity: [itex]\nabla[/itex]([itex]\vec{A} \times \vec{B}[/itex])=[itex]\vec{B} \bullet[/itex]([itex]\nabla \times \vec{A}[/itex]) - [itex]\vec{A} \bullet[/itex]( [itex]\nabla \times \vec{B}[/itex])

I need to prove for an arbitrary coordinate system, meaning I have scaling factors.

The proof should be quite straight forward if you use the levi chevita symbol but so far this is what i have:

[itex]\nabla[/itex]([itex]\vec{A} \times \vec{B}[/itex])=[itex]\frac{1}{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}}[/itex]( [itex]\frac{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}}{h_{i}} \epsilon_{ijk} A_{j} B_{k}[/itex]) = [itex]\frac{1}{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}}[/itex]( [itex]\frac{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}}{h_{i}} \epsilon_{ijk} A_{j} B_{k}[/itex]) [itex]\ast \hat{e_{i}} \bullet \hat{e_{i}}[/itex]

But I can't see how to take it into the desired format
    I think I should squeeze in a kroncker delta somehow, but I'm not sure.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Do you know how to do the proof without the scaling factors?

4. Mar 13, 2013 #3
    Yes, I just tried and it works fine even without the addition of unit vectors and the delta.
    My problem is that I cannot take the scaling factors in or out of the derivative.
    Perhaps I missed somthing?

5. Mar 13, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Would these scaling factors perhaps be constants? Or are they functions of one or more of the coordinates?

6. Mar 13, 2013 #5
    Of course they are functions, consider for instance spherical coordinates

7. Mar 13, 2013 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I'd try simplifying ##\frac{h_1 h_2 h_3}{h_i}## to ##h_j h_k##. Then I think you just have to apply the product rule and grind it out.

8. Mar 13, 2013 #7
    This is my idea too but how can take the scaling factor out of the derivative?

9. Mar 13, 2013 #8

lurflurf

Homework Helper

I don't know why you want to fool with h or moving it. Just use the chain rule to hold each vector fixed in turn.

$$\dfrac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{dt}}u=\dfrac{\mathrm{dx}}{\mathrm{dt}}\dfrac{\partial}{\partial x}u+\dfrac{\mathrm{dy}}{\mathrm{dt}} \dfrac{\partial} {\partial y}u$$

in your example

$$\frac{1}{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}}( \frac{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}}{h_{i}} \epsilon_{ijk} A_{j} B_{k}) =\frac{1}{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}}( \frac{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}}{h_{i}} \epsilon_{ijk} A_{j} (B_{k})_\mathrm{fixed}) +\frac{1}{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}}( \frac{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}}{h_{i}} \epsilon_{ijk} (A_{j})_\mathrm{fixed} B_{k}) $$

10. Mar 13, 2013 #9
    Ok but this doesn't prove the identity, if you look at the definition of the curl in curvilinear coordinates

11. Mar 13, 2013 #10

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Once variables are fixed they can move through derivatives and the identity is easily proven

$$\frac{1}{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}}( \frac{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}}{h_{i}} \epsilon_{ijk} A_{j} B_{k}) =(B_{k})_\mathrm{fixed} \frac{1}{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}}( \frac{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}}{h_{i}} \epsilon_{ijk} A_{j} ) +(A_{j})_\mathrm{fixed} \frac{1}{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}}( \frac{h_{1}h_{2}h_{3}}{h_{i}} \epsilon_{ijk} B_{k}) $$

12. Mar 13, 2013 #11

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Hint:
    $$\nabla\cdot(\vec{A} \times \vec{B})
    = \frac{1}{h_1 h_2 h_3} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} [h_j h_k \epsilon_{ijk} A_{j} B_{k}]
    = \frac{1}{h_1 h_2 h_3} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} [\epsilon_{ijk} (h_j A_j) (h_k B_k)]$$

13. Mar 13, 2013 #12
    thanks a lot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted