1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence what am I doing wrong

1. Mar 29, 2006 #1
    I don't understand what I am doing wrong here.

I'm supposed to show that this function is divergence free.

[tex] \vec v = \left( \frac{x}{x^2+y^2}, \frac{y}{x^2+y^2} \right) [/tex]

I ran the divergence through with my TI-89 at it equals 0. But, I want to calculate it by hand, so it would be easier to do this in polar coordinates (and this is my problem).

[tex] \vec v(r,\theta) = \left ( \frac{\cos \theta}{r}, \frac{\sin \theta}{r} \left) [/tex]

Standard divergence in cylindrical coordinates (dropping the z component)
    [tex] div\,\, \vec u = \frac{1}{r} \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial r} (rF_r) +\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} (F_\theta) \right) [/tex]

[tex] div\,\, \vec v = \frac{1}{r}\left( \frac{\partial}{\partial r} (\cos \theta ) + \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}\left (\frac{\sin \theta}{r} \right) \right) [/tex]

Now this is obviously not 0, since the [itex] \sin \theta [/itex] is not going anywhere with the partials. So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2006 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You made a subtle mistake here. Your vector above is still just [itex]
    \vec{v}=(v_x,v_y)[/itex]. You just changed the expressions for the components. You do not have [itex]\vec{v}=(v_r,v_{\theta})[/itex] yet. To get that you have to transform the basis vectors from [itex]\hat{e}_x[/itex] and [itex]\hat{e}_y[/itex] to [itex]\hat{e}_r[/itex] and [itex]\hat{e}_{\theta}[/itex].

4. Mar 29, 2006 #3
    I'm pretty sure I follow what you are saying. Well, I at least understand it. I am unfortunatly too tired to tackle it, so I will do it in the morning... But I should be good with what you said :)

thanks man

5. Mar 29, 2006 #4

J77

...but I think he's pretty much there.

Since the [tex]\cos[/tex] and [tex]\sin[/tex] are bounded, and [tex]1/r\rightarrow 0[/tex] as [tex]r\rightarrow\infty[/tex]

(with the exception at [tex]r=0[/tex])

6. Mar 29, 2006 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, he is not even close. This has nothing to do with taking a limit. The divergence should vanish identically in polar coordinates, just as it does in rectangular coordinates. His mistake is exactly what I said it was: He is plugging the rectangular components of [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] into the polar form of [itex]\vec{\nabla}[/itex].

[itex]v_x=\frac{x}{x^2+y^2}=\frac{\cos(\theta)}{r}[/itex]
    Note that this is still just [itex]v_x[/itex]

[itex]v_y=\frac{y}{x^2+y^2}=\frac{\sin(\theta)}{r}[/itex]
    Note that this is still just [itex]v_y[/itex]

He needs to find the components [itex]v_r[/itex] and [itex]v_{\theta}[/itex], which both contain contributions from [itex]v_x[/itex] and [itex]v_y[/itex]. This is done by transforming the basis vectors, just like I said.

7. Mar 29, 2006 #6

J77

I'm having a very bad brain day :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?