Divergent nozzle for releasing pressurised gas

• Thread starter T C
  • Start date
T C

Summary:

I need the details of the type of divergent nozzle that is needed to release pressurised air/gas to atmospheric pressure level.

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have air/gas pressurised gas (pressure is 7 barG). I want to know what are the parameters of the divergent nozzle needed so that the pressurised gas can be released to atmospheric pressure level smoothly and necessary enthalpy conversion can be achieved i.e. the air/gas will accelerate to its limit.

Answers and Replies

boneh3ad
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
What do you mean by "smoothly" in this context? You can just have an abrupt orifice and let it exhaust and it will reach atmospheric pressure.

russ_watters
Mentor
I want to know what are the parameters of the divergent nozzle needed so that the pressurised gas can be released to atmospheric pressure level smoothly and necessary enthalpy conversion can be achieved i.e. the air/gas will accelerate to its limit.
To say it another way; your goal is to achieve the highest velocity you can, correct?

T C
To say it another way; your goal is to achieve the highest velocity you can, correct?
Yes. Rockets of all kinds have divergent nozzle shaped outlet attached to their end. If just an orifice would be sufficient, then why that extra cost? Certainly there are some advantage is using a divergent nozzle shaped outlet in rockets.