Divergent nozzle for releasing pressurised gas

In summary, the conversation discusses the parameters of a divergent nozzle needed to release pressurized gas to atmospheric pressure level and achieve necessary enthalpy conversion. The goal is to achieve the highest possible velocity, which can be done by using a divergent nozzle. The details of the nozzle design depend on the specific constraints and reservoir conditions. The pressure ratio of 7:1 will result in a small diverging section with an area ratio of approximately 1.6:1. The mach number can be found by using equations 6 and the pressure ratio. More details about the application and situation would be helpful in determining the specific design needed.
T C
TL;DR Summary
I need the details of the type of divergent nozzle that is needed to release pressurised air/gas to atmospheric pressure level.
I have air/gas pressurised gas (pressure is 7 barG). I want to know what are the parameters of the divergent nozzle needed so that the pressurised gas can be released to atmospheric pressure level smoothly and necessary enthalpy conversion can be achieved i.e. the air/gas will accelerate to its limit.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "smoothly" in this context? You can just have an abrupt orifice and let it exhaust and it will reach atmospheric pressure.

T C said:
I want to know what are the parameters of the divergent nozzle needed so that the pressurised gas can be released to atmospheric pressure level smoothly and necessary enthalpy conversion can be achieved i.e. the air/gas will accelerate to its limit.
To say it another way; your goal is to achieve the highest velocity you can, correct?

russ_watters said:
To say it another way; your goal is to achieve the highest velocity you can, correct?
Yes. Rockets of all kinds have divergent nozzle shaped outlet attached to their end. If just an orifice would be sufficient, then why that extra cost? Certainly there are some advantage is using a divergent nozzle shaped outlet in rockets.

There's an advantage if you want to maximize thrust and exit velocity, sure. The details of what that nozzle will look like depend on your constraints and on your reservoir conditions though.

I have already told that reservoir condition.

And your question has already been answered for that simple case: yes, maximizing velocity will involve a divergent nozzle (though for a pressure ratio of 7:1, it won't have much of a diverging section - you're only looking at an area ratio of about 1.6:1 there). What are you actually trying to achieve though? What is your application here? Can you give us any more details?

cjl said:
it won't have much of a diverging section - you're only looking at an area ratio of about 1.6:1 there)
Kindly tell me how you have achieved that ratio.

There's a good summary of the relations at the page here. It helps if you have some familiarity with gas equations. Again though, it would be very useful to know more details of what your situation is and what exactly you're trying to achieve here though.

How to find out M here in the equation?

M is the mach number. If you look at equation 6, there's a relation between the pressure ratio P/P_t and the mach number, so you would first solve for the mach number based on your pressure ratio, then use that to find your area ratio.

Likes russ_watters

1. What is a divergent nozzle for releasing pressurised gas?

A divergent nozzle is a type of nozzle that is used to release pressurised gas in a controlled manner. It is designed to convert the high pressure of the gas into high velocity, which allows for efficient release of the gas.

2. How does a divergent nozzle work?

A divergent nozzle works by increasing the cross-sectional area of the nozzle as the gas flows through it. This expansion causes the gas to accelerate and increase in velocity, resulting in a high velocity jet of gas being released from the nozzle.

3. What are the benefits of using a divergent nozzle for releasing pressurised gas?

One of the main benefits of using a divergent nozzle is that it allows for efficient release of pressurised gas. The high velocity jet of gas can be directed and controlled, making it useful for various applications such as rocket propulsion, gas turbines, and fire suppression systems.

4. Are there different types of divergent nozzles?

Yes, there are different types of divergent nozzles, such as convergent-divergent nozzles, bell nozzles, and plug nozzles. Each type has its own unique design and is used for specific applications.

5. How is a divergent nozzle designed?

A divergent nozzle is designed using principles of fluid dynamics and thermodynamics. The design takes into account factors such as gas flow rate, pressure, and desired exit velocity to determine the optimal shape and dimensions of the nozzle.