Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergent series and the limit of the nth term as n approaches infinity

1. Apr 10, 2008 #1
    I'm looking for help with my conceptual understanding of part of the following:

1) If a series is convergent it's nth term approaches 0 as n approaches infinity
    This makes perfect sense to me.

2) If the nth term of a series does not approach 0 as n approaches infinity, the series is divergent
    Again, makes perfect sense.

3) A divergent series can have an nth term that approaches 0 as n approaches infinity. Thus #1 cannot be used as a test FOR convergence.
    Here's where I'm thrown a little. I can follow the proofs in my textbook fine, and I think I see what they all suggest.
    Essentially: The RATE at which the terms of a series approaches zero (assuming they do at all) is what really determines convergence/divergence -- am I understanding this right?

Thanks,
    -GM-

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2008 #2
    Yes you're right. The sequence has to tend to zero fast enough for the sum to converge.

For example the sum of 1/n does not converge altough 1/n goes to zero, but too slowly, the same for 1/log(n). In fact as you know the sum of 1/n^s converges for all s>1 and diverges for s<=1 so this gives you an idea of how fast the sequence should go to zero.

4. Apr 10, 2008 #3
    Not exactly, it is known that the series [tex]\sum \frac{1}{n}[/tex] is divergent, while [tex]\sum \frac{(-1)^n}{n}[/tex] is convergent.
    Both have terms which converges to zero, with the same "rate".
    However, the last one is, of course, not absolutely convergent.

5. Apr 10, 2008 #4
    another example, sum((-1)^n/sqrt(n)) also converges, but again, not absolutely, actually we can put anything in the denominator with an n, even sum((-1)^n/n^(1/1000)) converges

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?