Determine if the SERIES converges or DIVERGES

• MHB
  • Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the positive term series $\displaystyle \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} \frac{(2n+3)^2}{(n+1)^3}$ is divergent, as determined by taking the limit of the terms and using the ratio test. It can also be compared to a harmonic series, which is known to be divergent.
shamieh
Determine if the positive term series is convergent or divergent
\(\displaystyle
\sum^{\infty}_{n = 0} \frac{(2n + 3)^2}{(n + 1)^3}\)

So what I did was look at it as 2n + 3/n + 1 , then I did the limit as n --> infinity using lopitals to get 2/1 which = 2. Then i said this must be divergent since lim a_n as n -> infty is != to 0 by the nth term test this diverges. Would that be correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
shamieh said:
Determine if the positive term series is convergent or divergent
\(\displaystyle
\sum^{\infty}_{n = 0} \frac{(2n + 3)^2}{(n + 1)^3}\)

So what I did was look at it as 2n + 3/n + 1 , then I did the limit as n --> infinity using lopitals to get 2/1 which = 2. Then i said this must be divergent since lim a_n as n -> infty is != to 0 by the nth term test this diverges. Would that be correct?

Checking the limit of the terms is always a good start, because like you said, if this limit is not 0 then the series is divergent. But you are taking the wrong limit. The terms are $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{(2n+3)^2}{(n+1)^3} \end{align*}$, not $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{2n+3}{n+1} \end{align*}$. Using the correct terms we have:

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{(2n+3)^2}{(n+1)^3} &= \frac{4n^2 + 12n + 9}{n^3 + 3n^2 + 3n + 1} \\ &= \frac{\frac{4}{n} + \frac{12}{n^2} + \frac{9}{n^3}}{1 + \frac{3}{n} + \frac{3}{n^2} + \frac{1}{n^3}} \\ &\to \frac{0 + 0 + 0}{1 + 0 + 0 + 0} \\ &= \frac{0}{1} \\ &= 0 \end{align*}$

So the terms actually do go to 0. That means you will need to apply another test to try to determine the convergence of this series. I would suggest the RATIO test.

using ratio I obtained: \(\displaystyle \frac{(2n + 4)^2}{(n + 2)^3} * \frac{(n + 1)^3}{(2n + 3)^2}\) as n---> \(\displaystyle \infty\) = 200/432 so by ratio test L < 1 so the Series converges correct?

Last edited:
shamieh said:
using ratio I obtained: \(\displaystyle \frac{(2n + 4)^2}{(n + 2)^3} * \frac{(n + 1)^3}{(2n + 3)^2}\) as n---> \(\displaystyle \infty\) = 200/432 so by ratio test L < 1 so the Series converges correct?

Your ratio is incorrect. $\displaystyle \begin{align*} a_n = \frac{(2n+3)^2}{(n+1)^3} \end{align*}$, so $\displaystyle \begin{align*} a_{n + 1} = \frac{[2(n+1) + 3]^2}{(n+1+1)^3} = \frac{(2n + 5)^2}{(n+2)^3} \end{align*}$, so the ratio is actually

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{a_{n + 1}}{a_n} = \frac{(2n + 5)^2}{(n + 2)^3} \cdot \frac{ (n + 1) ^3}{(2n + 3)^2} \end{align*}$

Now see what happens to this ratio as $\displaystyle \begin{align*} n \to \infty \end{align*}$.

Ok , fixing my error... I got 288/432... But that can't be right...What am I doing wrong here..

I'm saaying that \(\displaystyle \frac{(2n + 5)^2}{(2n + 3)^2} = 36/16\)

also I'm saying that \(\displaystyle \frac{(n+1)^3}{(n+2)^3} = 8/27\)

then getting 288/432...Am I doing algebra incorrectly? I think that's the casE but i don't see my mistake...

shamieh said:
Ok , fixing my error... I got 288/432... But that can't be right...What am I doing wrong here..

I'm saaying that \(\displaystyle \frac{(2n + 5)^2}{(2n + 3)^2} = 36/16\)

also I'm saying that \(\displaystyle \frac{(n+1)^3}{(n+2)^3} = 8/27\)

then getting 288/432...Am I doing algebra incorrectly? I think that's the casE but i don't see my mistake...

Not even close I'm afraid.

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{(2n + 5)^2}{(2n + 3)^2} &= \left( \frac{2n + 5}{2n + 3} \right) ^2 \\ &= \left( \frac{2n + 3}{2n + 3} + \frac{2}{2n + 3} \right) ^2 \\ &= \left( 1 + \frac{2}{2n + 3} \right) ^2 \\ &\to \left( 1 + 0 \right) ^2 \textrm{ as } n \to \infty \\ &= 1 \end{align*}$

What about the other one?

wow...\(\displaystyle \frac{(n+1)^3}{(n+2)^3} = n/n+2 = ((1+0) + (0))^3 = 1^3\)?? I have no idea..

doesn't make sense because then you would have 1/1 = 1...and test is inconclusive...

shamieh said:
wow...\(\displaystyle \frac{(n+1)^3}{(n+2)^3} = n/n+2 = ((1+0) + (0))^3 = 1^3\)?? I have no idea..

doesn't make sense because then you would have 1/1 = 1...and test is inconclusive...

PLEASE be careful with your algebra. $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{ (n + 1)^3}{( n +2)^3} \end{align*}$ is NOT $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{n}{n + 2} \end{align*}$. Try again.

But you are correct that you should end up with the ratio test being inconclusive (I didn't realize this when I suggested it).

Wolfram says a comparison is needed. I'm trying to think of a function to compare it to...

using limit comparison can i compare it to 1/n^2

shamieh said:
using limit comparison can i compare it to 1/n^2

Close, but it will be of order 1/n, not 1/n^2 (the top has order 2 and the bottom has order 3)...

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{(2n + 3)^2}{(n + 1)^3} &= \frac{4n^2 + 12n + 9}{ n^3 + 3n^2 + 3n + 1 } \\ &= \frac{4 + \frac{12}{n} + \frac{9}{n^2}}{n + 3 + \frac{3}{n} + \frac{1}{n^2}} \end{align*}$

For large values of n, this behaves like $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{4}{n + 3} \end{align*}$, which is a harmonic series, well known to be DIVERGENT.

So your series is divergent too :)

Related to Determine if the SERIES converges or DIVERGES

1. What is the difference between a convergent and divergent series?

A convergent series is one in which the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. In other words, the series "converges" to a specific value. A divergent series is one in which the sum of its terms either approaches infinity or does not approach any specific value.

2. How can I determine if a series converges or diverges?

There are several methods for determining the convergence or divergence of a series, including the comparison test, the ratio test, and the integral test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series and comparing them to known convergent or divergent series.

3. Can a series converge and diverge at the same time?

No, a series can only converge or diverge, it cannot do both simultaneously. However, there are some series which exhibit behavior known as "conditional convergence", where the series converges when certain conditions are met, but diverges under other conditions.

4. What is the significance of determining if a series converges or diverges?

Determining whether a series converges or diverges is important in mathematics and science as it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of a given system or phenomenon. Additionally, it allows us to determine the accuracy and reliability of numerical calculations involving series.

5. Is there a simple rule for determining if a series converges or diverges?

Unfortunately, there is no simple rule for determining the convergence or divergence of a series. Each series must be analyzed individually using various tests and techniques. However, with practice and a solid understanding of the different tests, it becomes easier to determine the convergence or divergence of a series.