Divide by Matrix: Is it Possible?

• Thread starter spamiam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the conversation on the Physics Forums thread discussed the possibility of dividing by a matrix, specifically for singular matrices. The original poster wondered if it could be defined similarly to how it is for invertible matrices. However, it was pointed out that this operation is not well-defined due to the existence of a nontrivial kernel. The concept of a von Neumann regular ring and the Drazin inverse were suggested as potential solutions. It was also noted that working over a field is the best case for scalars in this situation.
spamiam
In post #7 of https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=532666" thread, the OP asked whether one could meaningfully divide by a matrix. Certainly this is possible for invertible matrices, but I'm wondering if it's possible to define something similar even for singular matrices.

For instance, suppose I have a singular matrix [itex] A [/itex]. If [itex] B = \lambda A [/itex], it seems natural to define [itex] \frac{B}{A} := \lambda I [/itex]. However, I don't think this operation is well-defined. Since [itex]A[/itex] is singular, left multiplication by [itex]A[/itex] has a nontrivial kernel, so there is some nonzero vector [itex] v [/itex] such that [itex] Av = 0[/itex]. Letting [itex] V[/itex] be the matrix with columns [itex] v [/itex], then [itex] B = A \cdot \lambda I = A \cdot (\lambda I + V)[/itex], so [itex] \frac{B}{A}[/itex] could just as well be equal to [itex] \lambda I + V[/itex].

My question is, is there a way to make this division well-defined? Would working over a ring with specific properties help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, if you can't do it over a field, you probably can't do it over a ring. The field is the best case for scalars.

What you are looking for is what we call http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Neumann_regular_ring" which has uniqueness.

There is also the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drazin_inverse" . The Drazin inverse has a further generalization called the g-Drazin inverse aka Drazin-Koliha inverse, but this is more C*-algebra stuff, rather than matrix theory proper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply--the links were very interesting.

I guess what makes [itex] \lambda I [/itex] the "natural" choice for [itex] \frac{B}{A} [/itex] if [itex] B = \lambda A [/itex] is that [itex] \lambda I [/itex] is a scalar matrix and lies in the center of the ring. I guess these various pseudoinverses all have some nice properties and I'll have to work out some examples.

1. Can you divide by a matrix?

No, division by a matrix is not defined. Matrices can only be multiplied or added/subtracted with other matrices.

2. Why is it not possible to divide by a matrix?

Division by a matrix is not possible because the operation does not have a consistent solution. Unlike numbers which have a unique inverse (e.g. 3 x 1/3 = 1), matrices do not have a unique inverse for division.

3. What happens when you try to divide by a matrix?

If attempted, you will likely encounter an error or undefined result. Some software programs may automatically convert the division operation into a matrix multiplication, but the resulting matrix will not be a true inverse.

4. Can you simplify a fraction containing a matrix?

No, fractions with matrices cannot be simplified in the same way as numerical fractions. The numerator and denominator matrices cannot be combined in any meaningful way.

5. Are there any alternatives to dividing by a matrix?

Yes, there are alternative operations that can be performed with matrices, such as finding the inverse of a matrix or solving systems of equations using matrix operations. These operations are useful in solving problems that may involve division, but the division operation itself is not defined for matrices.