Dividing fractionsuibs= by fract

• Thread starter lektor
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about understanding and working with the expression cosx + sinx/cosx divided by 1/cosx. The person is having trouble with using latex and asks for help with reducing the expression. The expert suggests inverting the fraction and multiplying as a way to simplify the expression.
lektor
hi, while doing trig identities I've found I am going to need to understand this..

cosx + sinx/cosx
---------------
1/cosx

sorry latex confused me so this is the best i can do :O

this is not an actuall question but just what i need help with :]

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What in particular do you need to understand about it?

Do you need to reduce the expression? What can you do with it?

I presume you mean [tex]\frac{cos(x)+ \frac{sin(x)}{cos(x)}}{\frac{1}{cox(x)}[/tex]

Dividing by a fraction is the same as inverting the fraction and multiplying:
[tex](cos(x)+ \frac{sin(x)}{cos(x)})(cos(x)[/tex]. Does that help?

Related to Dividing fractionsuibs= by fract

What is the process for dividing fractions?

The process for dividing fractions is to first flip the second fraction (the divisor) and then multiply it by the first fraction (the dividend). The resulting fraction is the quotient.

Why do we flip the second fraction when dividing fractions?

We flip the second fraction when dividing because it is the same as multiplying by its reciprocal. This is a rule in fraction division that helps simplify the process.

Can we divide fractions with different denominators?

Yes, we can divide fractions with different denominators. The first step is to find a common denominator by multiplying the two denominators together. Then, we convert each fraction to have that common denominator before proceeding with the division process.

What happens when we divide a fraction by a whole number?

When we divide a fraction by a whole number, we can rewrite the whole number as a fraction with a denominator of 1. Then, we follow the same process as dividing fractions with the flipped fraction being the whole number.

How do we check our answer when dividing fractions?

To check our answer when dividing fractions, we can multiply the quotient by the divisor to see if it equals the dividend. If it does, then our answer is correct.