Where Can I Find Resources to Learn Discrete Math for Computer Science?

In summary, for someone looking to learn discrete math from the basics to advanced topics, there are various resources available such as books, online articles, and videos. Wikipedia provides a comprehensive outline of the subject and can serve as a starting point for further exploration.
RooksAndBooks
Gold Member
(I guess you could put this in a computer science section since discrete math is the math of computers.) What learning resources do you recommend for learning discrete math from a person who knows none of it to a person who can do it easily? I have tried to study the topics below but the symbols used in them aren't explained in anything I read. Mostly, it's the symbols that I'm having trouble understanding but I really am just a beginner. I want to learn discrete math due to its relevance to computer science. The topics that I have tried to study include:

1. Information Theory and Entropy
  2. Mathematical Logic
  3. Set Theory
  4. Combinatorics
  5. Automata Theory
  6. Number Theory
  7. Graph Theory
  8. Discrete Probability Distributions
  9. Computability Theory
  10. Computational Complexity Theory
  11. Cryptography
  12. Computational Geometry
  13. Topology
  14. Combinatorial Optimization
  15. Relational Database Theory
  16. https://www.amazon.com/dp/032157351X/?tag=pfamazon01-20
EDIT: It seems inappropriate to post here. I have privately conversed with jedishrfu about deletion of this thread since I have made one in the Academic Guidance section. I'm sorry for anything I have done wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with objects that can only take on distinct, separate values. It is used in computer science, cryptography, and other fields where exact, discrete values are important.

2. How is discrete math different from other branches of math?

Discrete math is different from other branches of math in that it deals with objects that can only take on discrete values, rather than continuous values. It also focuses on the study of structures and relationships between discrete objects, rather than the properties of continuous functions.

3. What are some real-world applications of discrete math?

Discrete math has many real-world applications, such as in computer science, where it is used to analyze algorithms and design efficient data structures. It is also used in cryptography to protect sensitive information, and in economics to analyze decision-making processes.

4. What are some important concepts in discrete math?

Some important concepts in discrete math include set theory, combinatorics, graph theory, and number theory. These concepts are used to model and solve problems involving discrete objects and their relationships.

5. Is discrete math difficult to learn?

Like any branch of math, discrete math can be challenging to learn, but it is also very rewarding. It requires logical thinking and problem-solving skills, but with practice and dedication, anyone can understand and apply its concepts. It is also a foundational subject for many fields, making it a valuable skill for anyone to have.