DIY Continuity Tester: Increase Sensitivity | Matt

In summary, the conversation discusses building a homemade continuity tester and the possibility of increasing its sensitivity to detect high resistance objects. The suggestion is made to modify the base resistance in the circuit, specifically using a lower resistance value, and to avoid using oneself as part of the continuity tester.
mattyboson12
Hello, I'm building a homemade continuity tester from the schematic below, and I want to bump up the sensitivity even further so it can detect high resistance objects. What part of the circuit would I have to modify to allow this? Would it be a higher voltage?

Thank you
Matt

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200625-154928_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200625-154928_Samsung Internet.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 139
Engineering news on Phys.org
That base resistance (1M) looks kind of big. Even for a short from 3V to that base resistor, you only get a 3uA base current. Depending on the current gains of the two transistors, that's likely marginal for turning on the LED. I would go with more like 100k for that input base resistor.

And avoid using yourself as part of the continuity tester. Just hook the two ends of the test piece to 3V and the input base resistor.

Likes dlgoff

1. How does a DIY continuity tester work?

A DIY continuity tester works by sending a small electrical current through a circuit. If the circuit is complete, the tester will detect the current and indicate that there is continuity. If the circuit is broken, the tester will not detect the current and indicate that there is no continuity.

2. What materials are needed to make a DIY continuity tester?

The materials needed to make a DIY continuity tester include a battery, a light bulb or LED, wires, and alligator clips. You may also need a resistor to limit the current if using a light bulb.

3. How can I increase the sensitivity of my DIY continuity tester?

To increase the sensitivity of a DIY continuity tester, you can use a higher voltage battery, a more sensitive light bulb or LED, or decrease the resistance in the circuit. You can also add a potentiometer to adjust the sensitivity as needed.

4. Can I use a DIY continuity tester to test for continuity in all types of circuits?

No, a DIY continuity tester may not be suitable for all types of circuits. It is best used for simple circuits with low voltage and low resistance. For more complex circuits, a multimeter may be a better option.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a DIY continuity tester?

Yes, it is important to always disconnect the circuit from any power source before using a DIY continuity tester. It is also important to use caution when working with electricity and to wear protective gear, such as rubber gloves, when necessary.