Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DNA-functionalized nanoparticles

1. Feb 28, 2009 #1
    What do you understand by "the aggregation of DNA-functionalized nanoparticles"? Is it about how to make hybrid particles like DNA-nanogold, or is it about the particles' tendency to self assembly?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2009 #2

alxm

Science Advisor

Sounds like typical nanotech to me.

By which I define 'nanotech' as "a branch of science dedicated to turning ordinary physical chemistry into fantastic-sounding buzzwords, producing large research grants in the process".

4. Feb 28, 2009 #3

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It think its neither.
    Self-aggregation in this context probably just means that particles tend to clump together (randomly, self-assembly sort of implies some sort of structure) which would presumably would be a major problem when trying to analyze them.

Btw, although I agree that the nanotech area is ripe with buzzwords this is actually one example where the word actually means something. "Functionalized nanoparticles" are simply nanoparticles with some sort of property (they can e.g be magnetic) that makes them easy to find/analyze that have been functionalized; in this example coated with a substance that binds to DNA. The neat thing about this is that you can disperse them in whatever you are are trying to analyze (they can even be injected) and they will then to the DNA (or whatever); the sample can then by analyzed using a magnetic sensor.

It it a very promising technology and I even think it is already in practical use.

5. Feb 28, 2009 #4

LURCH

Science Advisor

Just for the sake of clarity, where did you come across this phrase? If you could, give us a link to the article, or post a quote of the entire paragraph in which the phrase was used (getting proper credit to the author, of course). Putting it in context might help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook