How is DNA Nanotechnology Revolutionizing Drug Delivery Systems?

• Thread starter Dayle Record
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dna Engines
In summary, the conversation discusses a recent article in Scientific American about self-building drug delivery systems that work similarly to our immune system. The article discusses a new technique using DNA to speed up the manufacturing process of nanoscale delivery systems, potentially revolutionizing medicine and targeting a wide variety of molecules to specific cells. The conversation also touches on the potential dangers and ethical concerns of nanotechnology, as well as the possibility of using nanotech for vat-grown food production in the future.
Dayle Record
I read this little article today, regarding self-building drug delivery systems. It reads a lot like how our immune system works. Then again, my degree in molecular biology is something for my next lifetime. This is from Scientific American.

January 24, 2005

DNA Helps Nanoparticles Pull Themselves Together

A burgeoning area of nanotechnology research is the development of tiny drug delivery systems that can target diseased cells specifically, leaving healthy ones untouched. New results suggest a novel synthetic approach could cut the manufacturing time for one type of nanoscale delivery system in half.

Scientists at the University of Michigan have been working with branched polymers just nanometers long called dendrimers, which can carry many different types of molecules attached to their ends. Armed with contrast agents and drugs, a dendrimer can then locate and signal the presence of diseased tissue. But building a multifaceted dendrimer complex is labor intensive and requires separate, lengthy reaction steps for each additional molecule. In the current issue of the journal Chemistry and Biology, Youngseon Choi and his colleagues describe a different technique, which exploits the natural tendencies of DNA to speed up the process. The team first made separate batches of dendrimers, each carrying a single type of molecule as well as a small swatch of noncoding DNA. When solutions of these dendrimers were combined, the lengths of DNA formed complementary pairs, knitting the two dendrimer complexes together.

Using this approach, assembling a therapeutic dendrimer that could deliver five drugs to five different types of cells would require 10 steps. The traditional approach would require 25, each taking between two and three months. "With this approach, you can target a wide variety of molecules, drugs [and] contrast agents to almost any cell," comments study co-author James Baker of the University of Michigan. The results have proved the concept is feasible, the authors note, and could usher in a new age of self-assembling disease-fighters. --Sarah Graham

I see some good things, but what I really see, is a lot of awful potential for this as a living weapon, or as something that gets out into the world, and becomes a form of pollution that results in all kinds of things. Say as a weapon, it is used to eat up structures ships, pipelines, people, etc.

But as a good thing, I was telling a Dietetic Kitchen Manager once, that in the future, I see stuff like Chicken, as a vat grown item. Where germ cells, or mother cells,would form the inner wall of the vat, and with simple nutrients would grow, striated muscle tissue, out in a continuous fashion, and the "Chicken" would be harvested in large slices, and cubed. Depending on the nano technology, the "Chicken", might grow more shaped like a cut of meat. All the processes would be carried out by living nano things, including chemical output that would signal the need for more nutrient input.

Biology news on Phys.org
Hi Dayle,

Thank you for sharing this brief article. I had worked with drug delivery systems using various techniques, such as electroploration, homing peptides, molecular modeling and genetic testing, etc. Someday, I firmly believe that the huge strides in nanotechnology will transpire to biotechnology and drug discovery systems.
However, from my perspective, nanotech is still invasive, therefore high risk.
Maybe, better nano-programming techniques and embedded artificial intelligence still has to be developed to mitigate those risks.

Personally, I rather have my own body's immune system and cellular-regenerating capability enhanced (hopefully, it will be strong enough) to ward off destructive bacterias, viruses, and chemical agents.

Oh well, just wishful thinking.

FluidSpace

Thank you for sharing this article and your thoughts on it. It is indeed fascinating to see how nanotechnology is advancing and being applied in various fields, including medicine. The idea of self-building drug delivery systems using DNA is intriguing and has the potential to revolutionize the way we treat diseases. However, as with any new technology, there are always concerns about its potential misuse or unintended consequences. It is important for researchers and regulators to carefully consider these risks and take necessary precautions to ensure the safe and ethical use of such technology. The concept of vat-grown meat is also an interesting application of nanotechnology, but again, it is crucial to carefully consider the potential implications and ensure proper regulation and safety measures are in place. Overall, it is important for us to continue exploring and utilizing nanotechnology in a responsible and ethical manner.

What are DNA nanomanagement engines?

DNA nanomanagement engines are tiny machines that use DNA molecules as the building blocks for their structure. They are programmed to perform specific tasks, such as target delivery of drugs or molecules, or performing mechanical movements.

How do DNA nanomanagement engines work?

DNA nanomanagement engines are constructed using DNA origami techniques, where specific DNA sequences are designed to fold into desired shapes. They can then be programmed to respond to external stimuli, such as changes in temperature or pH, to perform specific tasks.

What are the potential applications of DNA nanomanagement engines?

DNA nanomanagement engines have potential applications in various fields, including medicine, biotechnology, and nanotechnology. They can be used for targeted drug delivery, gene therapy, and in the development of nanoscale machines for various tasks.

What are the advantages of using DNA nanomanagement engines?

One major advantage of DNA nanomanagement engines is their precise and controllable movements, which can be programmed at the molecular level. They also have the potential to be biocompatible and biodegradable, making them suitable for use in medical applications.

What are the challenges in developing DNA nanomanagement engines?

One of the main challenges in developing DNA nanomanagement engines is the complexity of designing and synthesizing them. It also requires specialized knowledge and techniques, such as DNA origami, which can be time-consuming and expensive. Additionally, there are concerns about the safety and ethical implications of using nanotechnology in various applications.