Do 2 equal gravitational pulls cancel?

In summary, the scenario involves two massive objects exerting equal gravitational force and a smaller object being placed in between them. The net gravitational field is zero at the midpoint, resulting in no gravitational force on the object. This concept is similar to electric fields and the Lagrange points in the orbit of the moon. The distribution of forces would be along the surface of the object, potentially causing it to be torn apart if it is weak. However, the interaction is spread throughout the volume due to the immobility of gravitational charge. Another way to understand this is by imagining a room at the center of the Earth, where the pull of gravity would be equal in all directions, resulting in weightlessness.
thechosenone
imagine this scenario. you have two equally massive objects, exerting an equal amount of gravitational force (they are perfect spheres), and they are held apart a certain distance (how they are held apart is irrelevant). for simplicity, let's just say that their masses are about the same as that of earth, and that the distance between them is fairly small; say, a few miles or so, close enough so they would both have a strong gravitational pull.

now here comes my question: if you placed a third object with a much smaller mass (although large enough to be affected by gravity... perhaps a 100kg sphere?) right at the midpoint between these two masses, what would happen to it?

my first thought that was it would be torn in two and each half would go towards the closer mass... but how would any movement be able to happen if the net force is zero? maybe you guys can help me figure out what would happen to the middle object?

Physics news on Phys.org
thechosenone said:
my first thought that was it would be torn in two and each half would go towards the closer mass... but how would any movement be able to happen if the net force is zero?
The net gravitational field exactly at the midpoint between the two large, equal masses will be zero. That means an object placed there would experience no gravitational force, not two strong forces that cancel out. (Of course, a real object has some size so it can't all be at the exact middle--but I believe my answer addresses your real concern.)

You should know that net gravitational field at the midpoint (assuming that both objects have equal masses) where you want to place your object would be zero.

EDIT: OK, I need to seriously work on my typing speed.

ok, thanks for the help

i think this is called a "lagrange point" and the one you describe is not stable. but there are stable lagrange points in the orbit of the moon around the center of mass it shares with the earth. those stable lagrange points collect dust and/or debris, i think.

Lagrange points are a bit more complex to understand, but worth looking at. As usual wiki provides at least an introductory background. Consider a gravitational field in the same way you might think about electric fields, more than likely you've come across questions asking to calculate the resulting force when charged bodies interact, replace electric with gravitational field and it's all good.

I remember being amazed at the fact that branches of physics that seem so far apart obey the same basic outline, patterns appear everywhere.

if u analyze it according to an electric or magnetic field, which i think is a correct way to do it, the forces would be distributed along the surface of the object, so this will create an opposite pull on the object. if its a weak object and the pull force is big enough it should be torn apart. don't u think guys?

eaboujaoudeh said:
if u analyze it according to an electric or magnetic field, which i think is a correct way to do it, the forces would be distributed along the surface of the object, so this will create an opposite pull on the object. if its a weak object and the pull force is big enough it should be torn apart. don't u think guys?

Yes. But don't think that it is "each of the composing forces" which is pulling on the object's parts. What happens, is that you FIRST have to add the two g-vectors originating from the two sources, obtain the "sum g field", and THEN you apply the local g vector to each of the pieces of your extended object.

Exactly as with an E-field.

(only, because "gravitational charge" is not mobile, as are electrical charges in a conductor, the interaction is all over the volume, and not concentrated on the surface).

I think another way of looking at this question is: If you could drill a tunnel to the center of the Earth and build a room there, you would be weightless in this room because the pull of gravity would be equal in every direction.

1. Do two objects with equal masses have equal gravitational pulls?

No, the gravitational pull between two objects depends on both their masses and the distance between them. If the masses are equal, but the distance between them is different, then the gravitational pull will be different as well.

2. Can two objects with equal masses cancel out each other's gravitational pull?

No, the gravitational pull between two objects is always present regardless of their masses. However, if the objects are positioned in a way where the gravitational pulls are in opposite directions, they can balance each other out resulting in a net gravitational pull of zero.

3. How does the distance between two objects affect their gravitational pull?

The gravitational pull between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the gravitational pull decreases, and vice versa.

4. Can the gravitational pull between two objects ever be stronger than their individual masses?

No, the strength of the gravitational pull depends on the masses of the two objects. It cannot be stronger than the combined masses of the objects.

5. Does the position of the objects affect their gravitational pull?

Yes, the position of the objects does affect their gravitational pull. The closer the objects are, the stronger the gravitational pull between them. If the objects are positioned further apart, the gravitational pull will be weaker.