Do 3 dimensional matrices exist?

• Thread starter Rob K
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the conversation discussed the potential applications of 3D matrices, using the example of representing dates in a calendar. The concept of tensor products of matrices was also mentioned as a way to understand multilinear representations in n-dimensions. A guide on tensors was recommended as a helpful resource for understanding the concept.
Rob K
Hi,

I was just wondering, as I find matrices fascinating, I don't know why, but I was wondering if there was ever a use for 3D ones and if so what would be their application? It just occurred to me as I was reading about holographic hard disc storage.

Curiously

Rob K

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You should read up on tensors.

A simpler example is a calender, where each page holds the days of a month. The days are arranged in rows of seven days, and each month has four to six rows, not all of which are full.

For example, today's date is Jan. 13, 2012. If we agree that the year is understood to be 2012, we could identify today's date by its position in the week, the week of the month, and the month. So instead of representing it as 1/13, we could represent it as <6, 2, 1>, with 6 being the 6th day of the week, 2 for the 2nd week, and 1 for the first month.

I'm not putting this out there as an improvement on the current scheme for writing dates, but rather as a simple example for motivating three-dimensional matrices.

Mark44 said:
I'm not putting this out there as an improvement on the current scheme for writing dates, but rather as a simple example for motivating three-dimensional matrices.

That motivates 4-D not 3-D. There are only 12 calenders in our system: the calendar that starts on Monday, another that starts with Tuesday, and so on, giving 7. Then double because you need the leap years.

So we have <day of the week, week of the month, month of the year, calendar type>

Hey RobK.

Following on what micromass said above, I think you should look at tensor products of matrices. This will help you understand how we create multilinear representations of matrices which allow you to see how we do it for n-dimensions.

micromass said:
You should read up on tensors.

Any recommendations on books for learning tensors?

1. What is a 3-dimensional matrix?

A 3-dimensional matrix is a mathematical structure that has three dimensions: length, width, and height. It is often represented as a rectangular box with rows, columns, and layers.

2. How is a 3-dimensional matrix different from a 2-dimensional matrix?

A 2-dimensional matrix only has two dimensions, while a 3-dimensional matrix has three. This means that a 3-dimensional matrix can store and manipulate data in three dimensions, while a 2-dimensional matrix can only store and manipulate data in two dimensions.

3. Can a 3-dimensional matrix be visualized?

Yes, a 3-dimensional matrix can be visualized using various methods such as drawing a cube with rows, columns, and layers, or creating a digital model on a computer. However, it can be difficult to conceptualize and interpret the data in a 3-dimensional matrix compared to a 2-dimensional matrix.

4. What are some real-world applications of 3-dimensional matrices?

3-dimensional matrices are commonly used in computer graphics, image processing, and scientific simulations. They can also be found in areas such as physics, engineering, and economics for data analysis and modeling.

5. Are there limitations to the size of a 3-dimensional matrix?

Yes, there are limitations to the size of a 3-dimensional matrix as it requires more memory and processing power compared to a 2-dimensional matrix. The size of a 3-dimensional matrix is limited by the available resources on a computer or device.