Do Blind People Experience Dreams Differently?

• Thread starter Artman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dreams
In summary, during a conversation about Ray Charles' death, the topic of blindness was brought up. The question of whether it's better to be blind from birth or become blind later in life was discussed, specifically regarding the ability to see in dreams. Some people suggested that those blind from birth may experience dreams through sounds and touch, but not visual images. Others referenced a Psychology class where they learned that some people in dreams can speak languages they've never learned, but it's likely they've heard the language before. A first-hand account from Helen Keller was also mentioned, providing insight into the early dreams of a blind person.
Artman
We were discussing Ray Charles' death and the topic of blindness came up, specifically, whether it's better to be blind from birth or become blind later in life.

My friend said, "I wonder if people blind from birth see things in their dreams?"

So that is my question. Anyone know?

Biology news on Phys.org
How can they see in their dreams when they've never experienced sight before?

In a Psychology class, I studied dreams, and we learned that some people in dreams, have spoken a fluent language (that they've never learned). Of course, they've likely heard the language before. Blind people from birth have never seen.

http://www.rommes.org/blind/dreams.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the link. First hand description, such as that from Helen Keller in the link was really what I was hoping for with this question. I found her description of her early dreams very interesting.

Blind people's dreams

This is a relativly common question one of which I too once asked on the internet. I was told that people who are blind (from birth) have dreams of sounds and touch or feelings of vibration. They do not however have dreams with visual images

1. Do blind people have dreams?

Yes, blind people do have dreams. Dreams are a natural part of the sleep cycle and occur in the brain, not in the eyes. Therefore, blindness does not affect a person's ability to dream.

2. Can blind people see in their dreams?

It depends on the individual. Some blind people may have visual experiences in their dreams, especially if they have been able to see in the past. However, others may experience dreams through their other senses, such as hearing, touch, and smell.

3. Do blind people dream in color?

Again, this varies from person to person. Some blind people who have never been able to see may not dream in color, as color is a visual experience. However, those who have had vision in the past may dream in color, as their brain may still have the ability to imagine and remember colors.

4. Do blind people have nightmares?

Yes, blind people can have nightmares just like sighted people. Nightmares are a common occurrence in the sleep cycle and are not dependent on a person's ability to see. They can be influenced by a person's thoughts, emotions, and experiences.

5. Are blind people's dreams different from sighted people's dreams?

It is difficult to generalize as everyone's dreams are unique to them. Blind people may have different sensory experiences in their dreams, but the content and emotions can be similar to sighted people's dreams. Additionally, blind people may incorporate their other senses, such as touch and sound, into their dreams more prominently.