Do both circuits have the same output waveform?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between two circuits with opposite polarities for the battery V. The diode in circuit #1 will start conducting when its anode is 0.7V more positive than its cathode, and the output waveform will be the same as the input waveform except for a straight horizontal line at -5.3V. The conversation also mentions the change in clipping voltage when a battery voltage is applied to the cathode of the diode.
PainterGuy
Hi, :wink:

In the link given below circuit #1 and #2 are same except that they have opposite polarities for the battery V. On the left bottom there is output waveform after the clipping. In the beginning I was thinking that output for both circuits, #1 and #2, will be same. But now I am doubtful!:confused: The diode D1 starts conducting when its anode is more positive than cathode and there is potential difference across them of at least 0.7V. Let's assume the battery V is of 6 volts.

Link:--
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/716/changingpolarityofbatte.jpg

Do both circuits have the same output which is given on left bottom? Tell me please. Much grateful for any help you can give me.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
No. Not the same unless battery is 0 volts.

As Antiphon says at a battery voltage of zero both circuits will behave the same. If however you apply a battery voltage to the cathode of the diode, the clipping voltage will change from the +0.7 V by the same amount as the battery voltage whether positive or negative

skeptic2 said:
As Antiphon says at a battery voltage of zero both circuits will behave the same. If however you apply a battery voltage to the cathode of the diode, the clipping voltage will change from the +0.7 V by the same amount as the battery voltage whether positive or negative

Many thanks Antiphon and skeptic2. :approve:

Okay. I think the output waveform I have drawn in the diagram on the below link is correct for only circuit #2. Approve it if you also find it not incorrect please.

Link: http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/716/changingpolarityofbatte.jpg

So I will focus on circuit #1. As I said in first post that let take the voltage of battery V 6 volts. Also take +Vp and -Vp equal to +10V and -10V respectively.

The cathode of the diode is at -6 volts (because -ve terminal of the battery V is next to it). For the diode to conduct there should be potential difference of at least 0.7V across the diode and anode should be more positive than cathode. This can be written as a equation: Anode Voltage minus Cathode Voltage = +0.7V.

Av - (-6) = 0.7
Av = -5.3V

So it means the diode will start conducting at -5.3 volts. It will not conduct between -5.3V > Vrb >= -10V. Vrb stands for the voltage when the diode would be reverse biased.

Here is diagram: http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/5811/voutforcircuit1.jpg

Is this all correct to this far?

If it is, I still don't understand how to draw a output waveform for this. Can you help me with output graph for circuit #1 please?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Your output waveform will be the same as the input waveform except that there should be a straight horizontal line at -5.3 V between the two points on the sine wave.

1. What is an output waveform?

An output waveform is a graphical representation of the output signal or voltage of a circuit over time. It shows how the output changes in response to the input signal.

2. How can I determine if two circuits have the same output waveform?

To determine if two circuits have the same output waveform, you can compare the shape, amplitude, and frequency of the output signals. If they are identical, then the circuits have the same output waveform.

3. Why is it important to have the same output waveform in both circuits?

Having the same output waveform in both circuits ensures that the circuits are functioning correctly and producing the desired output. It also helps to maintain consistency and accuracy in data collection and analysis.

4. Can two different circuits have the same output waveform?

Yes, it is possible for two different circuits to have the same output waveform. This can happen if the circuits have similar components and are designed to produce the same output.

5. What factors can affect the output waveform of a circuit?

The output waveform of a circuit can be affected by various factors such as the input signal, the components used, the circuit design, and external interference. Any changes or variations in these factors can alter the output waveform.