Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do cosmic rays have any role in our weather?

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1
    Dose the cosmic rays have any roll in our weather

This question hits me yesterday when I was studying the electric charge and its roll in the weather , so dose the cosmic rays have any roll or its roll is just negligible…. when they hit our atmosphere

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2009 #2
    Re: Dose the cosmic rays have any roll in our weather

no one there

4. Feb 4, 2009 #3

wolram

Gold Member

Re: Dose the cosmic rays have any roll in our weather

I think high energy particles have been linked to the production of lightning, i have no idea is this is right though and i can not find the info again.

5. Feb 4, 2009 #4

wolram

Gold Member

6. Feb 4, 2009 #5
    The "swindle" document claimed that cosmic rays would be very significant. The claim got this response:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Global_Warming_Swindle

7. Feb 6, 2009 #6
  8. Feb 7, 2009 #7
    I found this link to use questionable sources.

This is very misleading. The radiative cooling effect of clouds are albedo changes that reflect SW radiation. This cooling is offset by increased LW flux. The 17 - 35 Wm2 is being used out of context in this example. Deliberately it appears to mislead the reader into accepting the authors premise.

Here is a "what if" model run by Ramirez and Mendoza and their conclusions. They assume that GCR flux does influence low cloud cover as postulated by Svensmark et al. Their conclusions were that the radiative forcing from this hypothetical is significant only in some NH continental areas. The contribution in these regions were found to be significant but still amounted to less than 1 W/m2, not the 17-35 W/m2 alleged by the author.

It should actually read:

Net radiative effect of GCR cloud modulation (cooling) < 1 W/m2 effecting < 10% of surface.

Other than the questionable link I found the site to be quite informative.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  9. Feb 12, 2009 #8
  10. Feb 14, 2009 #9
    Here is 2008 paper that explores the connection between cosmic rays and clouds.

Here is an article covering the EGU meeting where this and other compatible research was introduced.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?