Do doctors know if a prescription has been used?

• News
  • Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
In summary, to receive insurance coverage for a vein procedure, a doctor must prescribe compression hose three months in advance. The hose helps reduce vein enlargement and should be worn if standing for long periods of time. The prescription also includes medications to improve blood flow. It is unclear if the doctor or insurance company will know if the prescription is not used, but it is recommended to fill the prescription to ensure proper reimbursement for the procedure.
leroyjenkens
I got a prescription for compression hose for varicose veins. I'm going to have the procedure that will take care of it, but for insurance to pay for the procedure, the doctor first needs to prescribe compression hose 3 months in advance. I have no need for it, because the vein isn't causing pain or discomfort, it's just for aesthetics and because it will get worse over time. So will they know if I show up to the office in November without having used the prescription?

Likes Medicol
Physics news on Phys.org
A prescribing doctor could call a pharmacy, if he knows which one you use, and ask, but I can't imagine that they ever do.

Likes Medicol
The hose is helpful in lessening your veins enlargement. You should use it if you have to stand on your feet while working in a long duration everyday. It will get worse if you are pregnant, for example. The prescription includes also drugs that help modulate your blood flow. Your veins would appear almost indifferent in November if you follow the procedure.

leroyjenkens said:
So will they know if I show up to the office in November without having used the prescription?

It's not clear who 'they' is referred to here, the doctor or the insurance company?

It seems like if you want to get reimbursed by the insurance company for the vein procedure, you need to show that a doctor's prescription for compression hose was obtained so many days before the procedure took place. The insurance co. may not particularly care if you ever filled the prescription (and from personal experience, these things require careful fitting and are expensive w/o insurance), but at least they have on file some
sort of an indication that the problem was serious enough that your physician thought compression hose necessary. With all of the different schedules for reimbursement that insurance companies have, it could be that an insurance claim for vein procedure which did not require a prescription won't be paid at the same amount (or any amount) as one which does.

Fill the prescription for the hose. There's a record it was filled if anyone checks. You get reimbursed for the vein procedure (and the hose) by your insurance. No one has to know if you ever wore the hose unless you want to tell them.

I cannot speak for all doctors and their individual prescribing and tracking methods. However, in general, doctors are able to track whether a prescription has been used or not through various means. This can include electronic prescribing systems, pharmacy records, and patient medical records. It is important to follow the instructions and recommendations of your doctor, as they are prescribing the compression hose for a specific reason and it is necessary for the insurance coverage of your procedure. If you do not plan on using the prescription, it is best to discuss this with your doctor and explore alternative options. Ultimately, it is important to communicate openly and honestly with your healthcare provider to ensure the best possible care.

1. How do doctors know if a prescription has been used?

Doctors can track a prescription by keeping a record of when and where it was filled, and by checking with the pharmacy to see if it has been dispensed.

2. Can doctors tell if I have filled a prescription?

Yes, doctors can track a prescription by keeping a record of when and where it was filled, and by checking with the pharmacy to see if it has been dispensed.

3. Can a doctor see what medication I have picked up?

Yes, a doctor can see what medication you have picked up by checking with the pharmacy to see if the prescription has been dispensed.

4. How do doctors check if a prescription has been filled?

Doctors can check if a prescription has been filled by keeping a record of when and where it was filled, and by checking with the pharmacy to see if it has been dispensed.

5. Do doctors have access to my prescription records?

Yes, doctors have access to your prescription records through electronic medical records or by checking with the pharmacy to see if a prescription has been filled.