1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do enthropy and enthalpy changes depend on pressure?

1. Oct 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a homework which include this question: Al+1/2 N2-> AlN in this reaction find enthropy and enthalpy changes at 298 K and 1 atm. and repeat these at 298 K and 10 atm.

entropy changes at 298 K
    aluminum 6.77 cal/mol-K
    Nitrogen 45.77
    Aluminum nitride 4.82

enthalpy change of formation of AlN is -76,470 cal/mol

3. The attempt at a solution

i found them at 1 atm but i could not find at 10 atm. are the answers same or do they depend on pressure, if they depend, how can i calculate them?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

How did you get your values for 1 atm? Did you use the pressure there?

4. Oct 28, 2013 #3
    The entropy and the enthalpy of the N2 and the AlN (if it is a gas) are functions of pressure. The changes for a solid with pressure can usually be neglected. You can get the change in free energy with respect to pressure of a gas pretty easily if you know the P-V-T behavior of the gas, and you can also do the same for the change in enthalpy. The change in entropy then follows from these. Is AlN a solid or a gas at 1 atm and 298? Of course, if you are willing to assume ideal gas behavior, it's much simpler, because the change in enthalpy is zero, and the change in entropy is R times the natural log of the pressure ratio.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted