1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Do galvanic cells depend on distance?

1. Aug 13, 2016 #1
    I have seen some sites say that it doesn't and other says the opposite. So lets see
    h2vcudiag.gif
    Source of the pic: Chemguide

Lets look at the hydrogen (Oxidation) half cell. If we assume that it contributes x volts until the electron reachs the copper, then no matter how big is the distance the voltage is going to be the same ( only the Electric field will be weak and the current will decrease)

However if we look at both cells together and try to move the copper away from the hydrogen and look at the contribution of the copper electrode, First opposing the current, by exerting a force in the other direction. So when you move it away, you are making the potential of the electrons in the platinum decrease.
    So if we assume that the voltage at the copper electrode ( without the contribution of hydrogen) is y and the voltage at the hydrogen is z at the initial state then you move it away z will decrease so the difference will increase thus opposing the current more

Is this a explanation true?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2016 #2
    Any answer?

4. Aug 14, 2016 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

These are electrodes immersed in liquid electrolyte, and you're envisioning a tiny electrostatic repulsion between the plates due to the charges on each? I don't think that comes into the picture, but we'll see if someone can set you right.

5. Aug 14, 2016 #4

Nvm, Anyone who is reading this thread. I already figured it out

Thanks NascentOxygen

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  6. Aug 14, 2016 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Even if you make the surface area of each electrode 100 times greater, a galvanic cell's voltage doesn't change.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted