1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Do greenhouse gases need to be polar?

1. May 2, 2017 #1
    Hi,

I have been wondering if greenhouse gases always need to be polar molecules. Can a gas also absorb energy, and heat up, without being polar?

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Obviously no, since CO2 and CH4 are not a polar molecules :smile:

What is important is that the molecule be active in the infra-red, which corresponds to vibrational excitation. This precludes non-polar diatomic molecules, for which pure vibrational transitions are dipole-forbidden, but for molecules of 3 and more atoms, there are asymmetric vibrational modes that are active in the infra-red.

4. May 2, 2017 #3
    Ah, thanks, and apologies for my ignorance. I guess what I wanted to know was can you heat up a gas through an absorption line?

5. May 2, 2017 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know the definitive answer to this but I suspect that there could be insufficient power in the limited bandwidth of a well single absorption line (even starting with 1kW/m2 from the Sun) to give a measurable temperature rise from that mechanism.
    Someone may well tell me different.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted