What is the meaning of polarization ratio?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Cheesycheese213
Messages
55
Reaction score
8
I was trying to research about polarizing lasers for an experiment, and there were some things that were confusing? A website said,
Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 11.13.46 PM.png

I was wondering if the polarization ratio was the same as the extinction ratio?
Also, I was curious because I thought 100:1 would be a lot, and not much light would actually get past the polarizer. It still ended up relatively bright though, even after rotating the polarizer, so I also wasn't sure why that happened?
The diode laser I used was pretty weak (1mW I think), so I was wondering if that had anything to do with it, or if it was maybe just that my polarizer was inefficient.
Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Cheesycheese213 said:
I was trying to research about polarizing lasers for an experiment, and there were some things that were confusing?
I was wondering if the polarization ratio was the same as the extinction ratio?

Kinda-sorta. The terms mean the same thing (ratio between two orthogonal states), but 'extinction ratio' is used for devices that either absorb or otherwise block transmission of one polarization state.

Cheesycheese213 said:
Also, I was curious because I thought 100:1 would be a lot, and not much light would actually get past the polarizer. It still ended up relatively bright though, even after rotating the polarizer, so I also wasn't sure why that happened?

Because a 100:1 ratio is not very much, although fairly typical for laser sources. 'Good' polarizers have extinction ratios closer to 10^6:1.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: berkeman