1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do I always have to convert to SI units?

1. Jul 4, 2010 #1
    Hi, I'm trying to calculate the minimum mass of a star, where
    M=PV³/2πG

The values I've been given are V=400km s^-1 and P=34.4 hours.

Does this mean that I have to convert these values to SI units, i.e. give the values in terms of metres and seconds rather than km and hours? This would obviously give a very different answer so I'm not sure

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I would say that if you are given units in km and hrs, it makes sense to keep things in those units, not switch to meters and seconds.

4. Jul 4, 2010 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Assuming that any constants are also in those units -in this case you also have G

5. Jul 4, 2010 #4
    If you solve both numerically and with the units, you may also get factors of 3600 s h-1 floating around, so I'd suggest ensuring compatibility there.

6. Jul 4, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In other words, just be consistent in your use of units- if part of your problem has measurements in "miles" and "hours" and another in "meters" and "seconds", convert to one or the other.

Does it matter which you use? Yes, if your teacher says so!

7. Jul 4, 2010 #6
    I think as a general rule it's always safest and quickest to stick to SI.

8. Jul 4, 2010 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It really depends what units you are using for G. The other quantities' units should be consistent with that.

Agreed, when in doubt go with SI units for everything.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook