Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Do I have to break these problems up into component vectors?

1. May 19, 2010 #1
    #8: A person walks 60.0 m east, then 80.0 m NW.

#9: A person walks 15 m west, then walks 7.0 m @ 15 degrees South of West.

#10: Two forces act on an object. A 45 N force pushing to the north, and a 70 N force pushing at 20 degrees to the east of north.

#11: Some people go for a walk. They walk 5.4 km at 30 degrees north of east, turn and then walk 6.50x10^3 m to the west.

#12: Some people are in a hot air balloon floating above the ground. The net upward force of the balloon after the force due to gravity is 150 N. Someone is on the ground, pulling the balloon with a 50 N force at a 45 degree angle to the balloon. Someone else is on the other side of the balloon, also pulling at an angle of 45 degrees with a force of 50 N. What will be the result of this resultant force on the balloon?

8-11 I am unsure if I need to break them up into component vectors. I AM NOT ASKING USERS TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM, BUT MERELY GIVE SOME DIRECTION AS TO HOW TO SOLVE THE PROBLEMS. Also, I am clueless about 12...

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2010 #2
    bump10char.

4. May 19, 2010 #3

diazona

Homework Helper

For #8-11, will breaking them up into components allow you to solve the problems? If so, do it.

5. May 19, 2010 #4
    I'll try.

6. May 19, 2010 #5
    For #12, the tensions in the two ropes form a 90 degree angle, so simply add them vectorally and this will give you the net downward force due to the two people pulling.

As for #8-11... we don't know what the questions are asking...

7. May 20, 2010 #6

diazona

Homework Helper

No success with the vector components? Show us your work and we can try to help you out.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook