1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Do I really need Engineering degree to get job in renewable-energy industry ?

1. Mar 18, 2009 #1
    Hi, in 1.5 year I'll finish my M.S. (more precisely - it's equvalent) in Mathematical modelling. These studies connect math and physics and numerics - this is what propagation papers are trying to fool you. In reality there is lot of Functional analysis and pure math and you have lectures concerning almost only existence of solutions. (Solutions of Navier-Stokes system eqs.)
    I'm enthusiastic about enviromental stuff like clean energy sources - I'd like to work for some company which builds renewable energy power plants or construct components for them.
    On every website I've checked there was requirement to have engineering degree.

Do you think it would be possible to get desired job only with my "pure" M.S. ?
    I have B.S. in General Physics so it's not enough applied either.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2009 #2
    Yes, I think about PhD. However now my studies tend to PDEs theory rather than applied physics or engineering. My supervisor is well known in his field and expect from me to continue in this direction. About severeral next PhD... You know - I have lack of funds so I hope I can handle one PhD.

4. Mar 21, 2009 #3
    It's certainly not impossible but a degree in engineering will be a big help. Usually the pure theoretical stuff doesn't apply much to most alternative energy development technologies. Your best bet I would imagine would be in the area of photovoltaics.

5. Mar 21, 2009 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

From your posts, it appears you do applied mathematics and numerical analysis, which now includes computational physics.

There are many applications of numerical analysis/computational physics. A lot of analysis/simulation is done in conjunction with design.

Wind turbines, thermodynamic systems (concentrated solar power (CSP)) and hydrodynamic systems use computational fluid dynamics with applications like CFX, Star-CD, Comsol, etc.

Having an engineering degree, or at least some classes (e.g. fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, mechanics of structures / materials) would be beneficial.

6. Mar 21, 2009 #5
    I had several classes of fluid mechanics and thermodynamics and we also have class where we are working with Comsol. We just have much more subjects about PDE theory then classes that can be considered as useful in practice. The most advanced numerics class was FEM for eliptic problems and yes this surely will be useful.
    I'm thinking about job concerning energy of ocean waves or tidal energy but there they usually want previous experience in that field which I cannot offer now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook