Do I sound fine for Chemical Engineering?

In summary, the conversation highlights the individual's decision to switch from mechanical engineering to chemical engineering based on their interests in machinery and working with liquids on a large scale. They also mention their plans to take relevant classes and pursue a master's degree in mechanical engineering if desired. The individual is excited to be a part of the chemical engineering program at their esteemed school, despite it being smaller in comparison to the mechanical engineering program.
zachucsd
Hello. I appreciate the time given to read through this. I am ending a stressful self-defining process to choose my major!

I knew I would have to decide my major this week. I have been extremely stressed about choosing Mechanical or Chemical engineering. While some careers in both disciplines can overlap, they are pretty different. This is the last quarter of my second year as an engineering student. I am a declared Mechanical engineer, but I have always been interested in Chemical engineering since I like chemistry, at least the basics and concepts, and I like the idea of working with large process equipment to make large amounts of a product.

I really like machines and I like knowing how machines work. However, today I had a realization: I was sitting in the first lecture of a Mechanical engineering intro design class (basically a fabrication/design lab).
The epiphany: I had absolutely no interest in the professor's inventions, like robotic humans, mechanical joysticks, or sensors. I also had no interest in making the class projects like robots and pendulum clocks.
In short- I am over 90 percent sure I want to be a Chemical engineer.

I have realized that I am interested in machinery and want to use machinery, but what really gets me excited is to think about working with liquids, making beverages or biofuels or a cool product on the large scale, as if I am cooking or making tea on a huge scale (my hobby).
I think pumps, turbines, vacuums, steam engines and other rotating/liquids/gas equipment are really cool, but I think that I can use these types of machinery in chemical processing, maybe with biofuels or perhaps a job in natural gas/oil refining (less environmental but still interesting).

I take solace in the fact that I could always get a masters in mechanical engineering really easily: I plan to take statics and also turbines classes as a Chemical engineering electives for my undergraduate. Basically I will have half a Mechanical degree with an emphasis in processing and chemicals.

Anyways, do I sound like I am thinking clearly and have good expectations for chemical engineering?

This process has been hard because my school is so esteemed and highly ranked for Mechanical, but not Chemical engineering. The Chemical engineering is small but seems more relaxed so I am excited to be part of it.

Note: Growing up, I was never a "fix-it" mechanical child. I really am more of a tea/coffee enthusiast who likes chemistry and thermodynamics and wants to have a waste-vegetable oil mini-refinery.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it does sound like you are thinking clearly and have good expectations for chemical engineering. Chemical engineering is a very interesting field and you seem to have a great understanding of the concepts and machinery needed to be successful in this field. It is also great that you have an idea of what you would like to do in your career and what kind of projects you are interested in. You have given yourself a great foundation to excel in chemical engineering and pursue the projects you are passionate about.

1. What skills do I need to have to be successful in Chemical Engineering?

In addition to having a strong foundation in math and science, successful chemical engineers also possess critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. They should also be detail-oriented, have strong communication skills, and be able to work well in a team.

2. Is it necessary to have a background in chemistry to pursue a degree in Chemical Engineering?

While a background in chemistry can be helpful, it is not a requirement to pursue a degree in Chemical Engineering. Many universities offer introductory chemistry courses as part of their curriculum for students who do not have a strong background in the subject.

3. What is the job outlook for Chemical Engineers?

The job outlook for Chemical Engineers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 4% from 2019-2029. This is about as fast as the average for all occupations. Chemical Engineers are in demand in industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and energy production.

4. What type of work do Chemical Engineers typically do?

Chemical Engineers work in various industries, including manufacturing, research and development, and environmental engineering. They are responsible for designing, developing, and optimizing processes for the production of chemicals, fuels, medicines, and other products. They also work on solving problems related to environmental protection and sustainability.

5. What are some potential career paths for Chemical Engineers?

Chemical Engineers have a wide range of career options, including working in research and development, process design and optimization, production, quality control, and environmental engineering. They can also pursue advanced degrees and become professors or work in government agencies or consulting firms.