Do letter of recommendations when applying to university matter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of recommendation letters in university admissions and the speaker's struggle to improve their grades in math and physics. They also mention their previous plans to pursue a trade and their current dedication to catching up in school. There is also a brief mention of the importance of grades and extracurricular activities in the admissions process.
kramer733
Do the professors or whoever it is that chooses to accept who gets into unviersity or not even take into consideration the letter of recomendation? My friends suggested i get a letter of recomendation from my current math teacher if i don't think I'm going to get high enough marks for my chosen program I'm applying to. (math) But to be honest, i highly doubt the people who look over these things even take into consideration the letter.

This coming semester, i have :

physics
adv functions << night school
calculus
data and statistics
art

I'm willing to give up everything to get into my local university's math program (carleton university. Btw, does anybody know if they have a good program for math there?)

Well a little about me and my life. For all my life until last summer, i just screwed around and didn't care about school. Thought i'd take on a trade and have an easier life. But when i actually got into the trade, it wasn't easy at all and constantly getting yelled at when i was giving 100% of my body. It still wasn't enough so i got out of it. Then during last year of high school, i took a grade 12 college course math. I was easily the top student which was stupid because i only had a 70% in that class and everybody else screwed around. I didn't do much homework but little by little, i started to really like math and wanted to understand it more. Of course i still wanted to try bricklaying/masonry. When that didn't work out, i knew there was only one option left. That was to go back to school for another year in high school

Now I'm playing catchup and everyday i do math but it's so hard for me to break into the 80% barrier. I know i can do it. It just takes time and I'm sure it will come. The only subject i like is physics/math. I hate the arts and even for physics/math I'm not good at it. I've been busting my *** every day to catch up with my fellow classmates in a grade 11 math class.

Anyway thanks for answering if you do. Btw, sorry if my paragraphing and wording sucks. I'm not that good at english.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the university you are applying to is asking for letters of recommendation, it's a good bet that they will look at it.

Think like this, are the grades you get from your school unbiased? Do a high SAT score mean that you are really smart? Do extracurricular activities mean that you are a serious person?

The thing is, nothing guarantees that you are a good student. But having high grades is more unlikely if you are a bad student, same as having a good letter of recommendation.

1. Do letter of recommendations really matter when applying to university?

Yes, letters of recommendation play a crucial role in the university admissions process. They provide insight into the applicant's character, academic abilities, and potential for success in college. Admissions committees often use these letters to gauge an applicant's fit for their institution.

2. How many letters of recommendation should I submit?

Most universities require at least two letters of recommendation, but it is always a good idea to check the specific requirements for each school you are applying to. It is important to choose recommenders who know you well and can provide detailed and positive feedback about your abilities and potential.

3. Who should I ask to write my letters of recommendation?

You should ask individuals who know you well and can speak to your academic abilities, character, and potential for success in college. This can include teachers, professors, mentors, employers, or coaches. It is important to choose recommenders who have had a significant impact on your academic or personal growth.

4. Are letters of recommendation more important than grades?

Both letters of recommendation and grades are important factors in the university admissions process. However, letters of recommendation provide a more holistic view of the applicant and can provide insights that grades alone cannot. They can also help to balance out any weaknesses in an applicant's academic record.

5. Can I submit more than the required number of letters of recommendation?

It is generally not recommended to submit more letters of recommendation than the required number. Admissions committees receive a large number of applications and additional letters may not be thoroughly reviewed. It is better to focus on choosing the most impactful and relevant recommenders than to submit a large number of letters.