1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Do magnets that attract actually touch?

1. Jun 13, 2017 #1
    So I know why magnets repel, it is to do with the orbit of electrons and all that. I also know that you do not actually touch anything, there is an atom of gap between it or something like that, because the electrons have a negative charge. But when magnets attract, what is going on? And do they actually touch or is there still the gap in between them?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

In the end they repel each other even when they touch. The electromagnetic charge of the electrons prevents them to "touch" as it prevents us from falling through the earth. I mean most part of matter is actually a void. So what does "touch" mean, i.e. on which level?

4. Jun 13, 2017 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What exactly does "touch" mean? They answer to your question depends on how you answer that question.

5. Jun 13, 2017 #4
    Okay then, do the magnets that attract come closer to each other on an atomic level than when I just touch an everyday object, or is the repel from the electrons having the same charge still at the same strength?

6. Jun 13, 2017 #5

fresh_42

This still depends on how you define "close", i.e. a distance. The charges don't change, they are only aligned. Since you can still separate them without destruction of the material, I'd say they are not as strongly bonded as the molecules in the material are. You need a force to do so, but this doesn't mean they are closer. But for details I better leave a more accurate answer to the physicists among us.

7. Jun 13, 2017 #6

mfb

2016 Award

For all practical purposes, you touch things. If you think there is a gap between your finger and the other object then you also have to see a gap between the atoms in your finger. While that is a possible view, I don't think it is useful.

Two magnets close together, attracting each other, behave like your finger touching something.

8. Jun 14, 2017 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dang - you got there first. :wink:

9. Jun 14, 2017 #8

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

10. Jun 14, 2017 #9
    So in conclusion, it depends what you mean by touch.
    Thanks for the answers.

11. Jun 14, 2017 #10

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Also, you need to consider there the 'Poles' of the magnets are located. The Earth is an extreme case where the Poles are considered to be well below the surface. Same thing must apply, in principle, to any real, permanently magnetised lump of material.

12. Jun 16, 2017 #11

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

But we already know this. The simplest "magnet" is the one produced by electrons due to its spin angular momentum. It is analogous to a magnetic dipole. And a He atom has two of them living within the same atom.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted